• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Arm Location

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
I was mocking up some parts and noticed some inconsistencies on these Crane adjustable rockers, not being centered. Can you take some material off the sides to center them or just install the valve covers and forget about it?
Also where the guide clips under the mounting bolts comes in contact with the rocker, has some resistance...

Attachments

• IMAG0591_1.jpg
    IMAG0591_1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 270
Been a while since I had a wdgie,but I think there is a right & left side beside intake & exhaust. Not sayin you won't have to tweek them for the right fit.

in a case like this I usually trim the hold down to correct alignment.

If I were you I'd ditch the springs and buy an aftermarket hold down and spacer kit. Those factory hold downs will gouge the rockers.

If I were you I'd ditch the springs and buy an aftermarket hold down and spacer kit. Those factory hold downs will gouge the rockers.

Now you're talking my language. I'll be checking into this.

Imho, crappy workmanship for what you pay.

Thanks....

Is the "crappy workmanship" just because they don't line up correctly without tweaking the hold-downs or is there another problem with them? I've used numerous sets of roller rockers from several manufacturers and always have had to play with spacers/shims to get them 'dead on'. Just a part of blueprinting/hot rodding. It's the fun part of the hobby.

See if this pic helps as its my old 440 with iron adjustable rockers. I am guessing the big and small holddown spacers are right with the 2 big and 3 smaller ones with the small ones in the middle and on the ends ? Can you post a larger pic of the whole shaft like this pic ? Ron

100_0475.jpg

Is the "crappy workmanship" just because they don't line up correctly without tweaking the hold-downs or is there another problem with them? I've used numerous sets of roller rockers from several manufacturers and always have had to play with spacers/shims to get them 'dead on'. Just a part of blueprinting/hot rodding. It's the fun part of the hobby.
i agree!

From where I'm standing that looks like a small block rocker arm on a big block cylinder head. Damn hard to blueprint that.

It is not uncommon to take material off the curved shaft hold downs to get the tip to line up. As long as the bottom of the rocker doesn't hit the cast pedestal and all else is well then not an issue. Having the correct rocker tip to valve stem alignment is the main thing.

383man's set up is correct. And those are the Max Wedge rockers on his engine by the way.

Yea, because there not lining up.
But I can see that this is not uncommon with these rockers. .060 off center and in length seems a little extreme to me but it is what it is.
Most of the hold downs and shims I've found are for the roller rockers but I think i found some that will work.

Thanks gentlemen for your replies, and by the way, I am having fun!

- - - Updated - - -

See if this pic helps as its my old 440 with iron adjustable rockers. I am guessing the big and small holddown spacers are right with the 2 big and 3 smaller ones with the small ones in the middle and on the ends ? Can you post a larger pic of the whole shaft like this pic ? Ron
Here ya go Ron

Attachments

• IMAG0592.jpg
    IMAG0592.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 188
First of off center doesn't really bother anything. The hold down holes are sloppy, you can move them from side to side. They can be filed for clearance. Small block Ford valve shims are a very close fit on the shafts for spacers. You may have to ream them slightly. The springs work fine. Don't get carried away about stuff that means next to nothing about power or longevity. Plenty of other worthwhile areas to chase power.
Doug

Thanks Doug, my take on it is that the truer you can make them, the less side pressure you will place on the guides. A couple of the rockers are sitting .060 off center. That's too much. Adjusting the shaft will work for some, not all. 440 Source has spacers and shims, just haven't ordered them yet. Sorry I'm a perfectionist. Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back