Rocker arms for Trick Flow Heads

Racers Hangout

1. Hemirunner

Hemirunner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:53 AM
    Bio, yes, I have a set on the bench and have posted builds on several other TF builds on here. I used the HS rockers on the last build that produced 788hp. I didn’t care for the, what I thought was, excessive play on the roller tip shaft. It seemed to be much more than I remember and could be problematic with higher spring loads.
    I have also used Jesel and T&D over the years on many builds, but usually with Indy heads. I also used the Crower independent rocker system on a small block build on here with Edelbrock Victor heads. I prefer the quality and accuracy of these rocker Systems over the beefy HS systems. Especially the independent shaft, bedplate style systems which require milling. The Crower rockers were dead on.
    I have not checked to see if either company make a bolt on setup specifically for the TF heads. I’ll have to do some research.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy Accelerati Rapidus Maximus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      @Hemirunner
      Thanks for starting this thread on this.
      I get some of the most detailed information from you and I appreciate it.
      I am fortunate to have what I believe and have experience with now, a builder and company I can trust, AND they have deep experience with Mopar racing and vast engine systems and components and 2 machine shops to make it happen.
      Given that I am investing in a $5K plus BMP aluminum block and Trick Flow 270 heads, I have to have everything else done right, and the cam profile and stability of the valve train are especially important to me. Unless they convince me to use hydraulic rollers, I think the best lifters for my application would be solid flat tappet. I won't have to worry about the issues of solid rollers and stop and go traffic, and I believe the larger diameter of the Mopar lifter will allow for a cam profile that is close enough to a roller profile to make the kind of modest HP and torque that I'm looking for from a 541 cu in block. The same goes for valve spring pressure, I think that using the inherent power in having a large displacement engine will allow for a lift that doesn't require astronomical spring pressure, and the solid flat tappets are relatively light weight too.
      I hope to keep the need for maintenance (checking lash) to a minimum, and from what I've read, that seems to be an easily attainable goal.
      Now I don't know squat about engine building, but I think all of that makes sense. Having the rocker arm geometry "right" all plays into my goal of having a reliable, consistent, powerful engine that I can depend on, and that isn't fighting against itself by having misaligned components.

• Tex013

Tex013 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Bio ,
      HS make a specific rocker to suit the Trickflow .
      I use Crane Gold 1.5s on mine they are spot on . I only wish Crane still made the 1.6s i would like to try a little more lift , i only have .600 nett now

Tex

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • rumblefish360

rumblefish360 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I think your spot on after reading your posts for a long time now.
        While I think a Hyd. roller is nice, @ 541 cubes, the minor output gain will not be noticed in your intended and described driving intentions. A solid tappet cam, as you described will work great & make great power.

Guys like @Hemirunner are a huge help and that shout out to Hemirunner is my little thank you and vote of confidence on his behalf for everyone. This forum has a really good group of been there and done that guys willing to help and share. It can’t be beat.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
        • 440rb

440rb Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          11:53 AM
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • biomedtechguy

biomedtechguy Accelerati Rapidus Maximus FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          • rumblefish360

rumblefish360 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
            He is an excellent dude. As well as his work.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • Hemirunner

Hemirunner Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              Thanks. I can only share my experience, which is less than a lot, but more than most.

• Like Like x 1
              • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.