• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker shaft orientation

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I know the oil holes have to point down, but they are not down the centerline of the shaft. By flipping it around, I can bias the holes to point to the intake or the headers. Would either way be better?

20211014_181631.jpg

The factory pointed them toward the exhaust...but on some aftermarket rockers it doesn't matter. HS is one that makes shafts with the oil holes in-line with the mounting holes. As long as oil gets to the rocker's oiling port..

Last edited:
These are PRW shafts and their stainless rockers which are advertised as fitting oem heads, so I will point the holes to the valves. Thanks guys.

Now I am really confused. Emailed the engine builder earlier asking the question and he just got back to me saying the holes should point to the intake side. Wish he would have included the instructions with the parts he sent me. Maybe I should try calling PRW to get their opinion?

Now I am really confused. Emailed the engine builder earlier asking the question and he just got back to me saying the holes should point to the intake side. Wish he would have included the instructions with the parts he sent me. Maybe I should try calling PRW to get their opinion?

Do it like post #3 shows.

OEM shafts have a notch on one end. The notch faces the head, and on the front driver side, and to the rear on the passenger side. The oil holes are to the valve spring side of the hold down bolts.

rockers.jpg

So... Last night I emailed him the pic that 69 Sleeper Bee posted in post 3. Are you certain, because I found this in a Mopar book? He responded back that was only for stock shafts and to point the holes to the intake. That's when I posted here that I was confused.
Sent 1 more email to him before going to bed just to verify. Got up this morning and this was his response "Actually, they go towards the exhaust side...the nuts TQ at 35ftlbs. And yes, I'm sure this time!"
Very big thank you to all who responded, and provided proof - I had them all set up to go the other way. The price of admission here has just paid for itself. I swear this motor in my Bee in conjunction with this builder is seriously cursed......

Post #10 pic is from the FSM. If you look at how the holes point, the oil will come out at the pivot point of the rocker arm. If you install backwards, with the stamped steel rockers, the oil will flow outside of most of the contact area.
The pic in post 3, caption is correct but the hole shown is in the rocker, not the shaft.
I went through this on my last build, where one side was either previously installed wrong, or I marked it wrong at tear down.
To add to the confusion, I believe that the pictures in the MP engine manual are either incorrect or unclear.
It may not matter as much with adjustable rockers since the contact area is larger.

OEM shafts have a notch on one end. The notch faces the head, and on the front driver side, and to the rear on the passenger side. The oil holes are to the valve spring side of the hold down bolts.

This is how I have always remembered it.

so which way on stock rocker arms do the holes face ? exhaust side or intake side ?

FSM illustration shows bottom hole exits to exhaust manifold or valve side.

FSM illustration shows bottom hole exits to exhaust manifold or valve side.
But even this illustration is confusing because of the way some of the lines are drawn.

View attachment 1179836

Post #10 of the FSM reads - (2) Install rocker shafts so that the 3/16" diameter rocker arm lubrication holes point downward into the the rocker arm, so that the 15 degree angle of these holes point outward towards the valve end of the rocker arms (Fig. 8 ). This is necessary to provide proper lubrication to the rocker assemblies.
An easy way to remember this as @Zeppelin264 said in post #5 - DOWN & OUT (Exhaust )

Auto Transport Service
Back