• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Shafts- Roller vs Ductile

66Satellite47

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
I have a set of rocker shafts that came with my roller rockers with oil holes top and bottom. Has anyone used this type of shaft with standard ductile adjustable rockers? Does the two supply holes bleed off too much oil? Any experience is appreciated.

harland-sharp shafts were/are the only ones i know of that have oil holes in a different location than stock. i actually don't think it would hurt a thing to use ductile iron rockers with them as long as the hole is covered by the rocker.

Thanks lewto184, mine are 440 Source shafts. The more I look at the ductile rockers, the more it seems it shouldn't make any difference, the oil has to get through the space between the shaft & the ID of the rocker to the oil supply to the ball end & the "vent" hole. Seems it shouldn't make any difference 1 hole or 2.

the holes in the rockers are oil supply for push rod tips and valve stem. 440 source just copied the harland sharp shaft. make sure there are holes in the down position to feed the fulcrum/pressure side of the rocker.

My Crane Cams hardened shafts,
for their Super Gold Roller Rockers {or other mfgrs} or t
heir Max Wedge Style Ductile Iron Adj. Rocker, have oiling on both sides too...

just figured I'd share

Yes, the holes are top & bottom, load side gets it. My previous Crane shafts only had the bottom holes like stock & I ground the diagonal groves to distribute oil out from the center of the rocker. Didn't do that on these. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back