• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Trim Paint and process

Slant 6 Music

Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone restored the lower rocker trim on 71-2 GTX? Mine appear to be silver with black. Looks like a lot of taping off? Wondering what the process would be and if it's just paint, or there is plating for the silver part. Thanks.
Trim 1.jpg
Trim 3.jpg

Here are pics. Trim 2.jpg

You might determine the width of the black trim and see if black vinyl tape is available in lieu of painting. That’s what I did on my 66 Sat. Took about 45 minutes to do both sides. Imagine how long I would have spent taping it. If you do tape, prime the bare aluminum with a light coat of self etching primer first (available from several paint suppliers but I used black SEM). That enhances adhesion and keeps the paint from spalling on the edges as the tape is pulled off.

9F6251F6-6DC6-4D67-BA23-42F6F725B9D0.jpeg

You might determine the width of the black trim and see if black vinyl tape is available in lieu of painting. That’s what I did on my 66 Sat. Took about 45 minutes to do both sides. Imagine how long I would have spent taping it. If you do tape, prime the bare aluminum with a light coat of self etching primer first (available from several paint suppliers but I used black SEM). That enhances adhesion and keeps the paint from spalling on the edges as the tape is pulled off.

View attachment 1219615
Thanks for the tip. Had not thought about tape of some type. It's used on RT qtrs panel scoops and other areas, so why not? But I'm looking at the Alum thinking it might need refinishing as well. Most of the pics on the internet, it's hard to tell if these were black and silver. Most look just silver to me. But quality of pics not good either. I have a body assembly manual with drawings, but there's nothing in there for these pcs.

I’m not familiar with your year but I’m guessing the rocker trim is anodized aluminum. You can’t do much with it except go over it with some Mothers aluminum polish but anodizing is really hard and polishing has minimal effect on it. It can be stripped of anodizing at home or by major shops and sanded/polished out to where it is almost chrome like. Then it can be waxed periodically to clean it of oxidation or sent to an anodizer shop and re-anodized. Home stripping and polishing is a separate subject for another thread or you can search the forum. It’s labor intensive.

Auto Transport Service
Back