• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rods with thin pin fit.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
Thinking that no one would want these since the pin fit is thin on one side.....? Hope the pic shows what I'm talking about.

20201219_163718.jpg

No way!!! The hole is supposed to be centered in the forging for equal strength. When a rod breaks, it tends to destroy the block.

No way!!! The hole is supposed to be centered in the forging for equal strength. When a rod breaks, it tends to destroy the block.
I know all about how a rod can destroy a block but, is that wall too thin to think about using for a stock build. After all, it did come out of an engine that wasn't destroyed. I've pulled lots of rods that were not centered from some very high mileage and abused engines.....

I know all about how a rod can destroy a block but, is that wall too thin to think about using for a stock build. After all, it did come out of an engine that wasn't destroyed. I've pulled lots of rods that were not centered from some very high mileage and abused engines.....
I would not use them. I have a set of these : http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...2Rz&searchmode=partnumber&page=2&partid=25218

They're 6.76 long and .990 pins, but I never used them. $150 plus shipping. Friends don't let friends use weird looking rods. :)

No offense @Cranky but those look ready for the scrap heap.

They will run fine.... once heated, pin inserted, and allowed to cool, the clampload is applied evenly around the Pin... again, NOT a problem
They came out of a stock 440 Hi Po engine that had 100k miles on them so I wouldn't think they'd be a problem but I wouldn't care to use them in an engine that was built up some and going to see 7k rpm....

They came out of a stock 440 Hi Po engine that had 100k miles on them so I wouldn't think they'd be a problem but I wouldn't care to use them in an engine that was built up some and going to see 7k rpm....
That's crazy that they would've come from the factory with offset pin holes.

That's crazy that they would've come from the factory with offset pin holes.
That's just some of the things that happened with mom's stuff. The quality control wasn't always top notch. Maybe the engine they came out of belonged to some granny that didn't run the car hard lol. Thing is, I've torn down lots of original engines that had similar looking rods and some of the cars looked like they were rode hard and put up wet!

Auto Transport Service
Back