• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller rockers ?

72Fourspeed

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
Been out of the game for a while due to family, kids, etc. I found this site & have been a loyal lurker for a bit. Joined up recently & have learned a lot. Much has changed since 80-81.
Now for the ?s. I`ve been scrounging parts for a B motor. I want a 451 eventually, so I`ll limit my purchases to 383-400 stuff to carry it over to the 451. I was on Flea bay & saw some roller rockers from an outfit called Pro Comp. Any opinions , experiences with them ? The $$ is affordable, but I`m not sure if they are necessary for a 12.50 or so car. We didn`t use to have them in the old days.All this going into 63 post sedan, 727, 355-391s out back. Thanx for the time & thoughts, Don.:HappyNewYear:

Last edited:
I personally don't like roller rockers, ....Yes, ..it's true they reduce friction and you can make a few extra ponies, ...but there is more than can wrong with them, I have seen these fail and eventually they will wear out faster that a standard rocker, and to me they aren't worth it,..... I wouldn't trade reliability for about 15 or 20 extra horses.

I have seen the Pro-comp rockers but have not used them. I have used several others with good results on both Street and race motors. The Harlan Sharp rockers seem to provide the best performance for the buck on race applications or street roller applications. I have also had good luck with the comp cams roller rockers when paired with a mechanical flat tappet cam. These days I would use roller cam and rocker setup for any engine I would have built. A hydraulic roller cam may be a good fit for your 451 depending on your application. The 451s like to RPM and make good power. I have had a few good ones over time. Do you home work and use the best parts you can afford up front as it will save you problems and headaches in down the road. Good luck!

I personally don't like roller rockers, ....Yes, ..it's true they reduce friction and you can make a few extra ponies, ...but there is more than can wrong with them, I have seen these fail and eventually they will wear out faster that a standard rocker, and to me they aren't worth it,..... I wouldn't trade reliability for about 15 or 20 extra horses.

I don't run them on my street engines, :no:....However I do run them on full race engines, ...but after one season, ...I pull them out sell them on "Flea Bay" as "Good Used Only Ran For One Season, As Is ! ":grin:.........then I buy a new set, ...and new set of rockers are much cheaper that engine failures,..."if you gonna Play,...you gotta Pay !":yes:

More people do this than most folks realize, ...personally, I wouldn't recommend buying used ones. ....but some folks want to Hot Rod stuff and not spend the cash that is required to do it properly.

pro comps are junk. they have a lot of issues with the adjusters breaking with any thing higher than stock spring pressures. check out daves 66 threads on fabo and i have personally seen the havoc they cause. if youre running a hydraulic cam m/p makes a heavy duty stamped steel rocker with extra meat in the cup area.

rollers

That is what I`m talking about ! I`m looking for opinions & experiences, good or bad. That`s how you make an informed decision. A circle track guy I know said the 451 will run forever if you just build it to the level of a 375 horse 440. It appears to be the concensus I won`t need the rollers. Thanx to all for their input. Don.

That is what I`m talking about ! I`m looking for opinions & experiences, good or bad. That`s how you make an informed decision. A circle track guy I know said the 451 will run forever if you just build it to the level of a 375 horse 440. It appears to be the concensus I won`t need the rollers. Thanx to all for their input. Don.

Glad to be a help, I don't mind sharing lessons learned the hard way with anyone.:)

Crane or Isky adjustables are all you need unless you have some major lift going on, and even then they are not mandatory for an occasional race or driver. I'm 80's old school too and just relied on mostly factory parts.

Another thing is there is a ton of Chinese made crap out there, which didn't really exist back then. If it sounds too cheap it probably is!

Crane or Isky adjustables are all you need unless you have some major lift going on, and even then they are not mandatory for an occasional race or driver. I'm 80's old school too and just relied on mostly factory parts.

Another thing is there is a ton of Chinese made crap out there, which didn't really exist back then. If it sounds too cheap it probably is!

Exactly:yes:.

Oh Really ?

Crane or Isky adjustables are all you need unless you have some major lift going on, and even then they are not mandatory for an occasional race or driver.
I can pickup a used set of Isky adjustables w/shafts for $150. My core is a 78 400 with about 100K on it, so I need replacements anyhow. The Iskys look good, no wear pattern. They aren`t rollers , so I passed on them. I don`t remember if they used ball end or cup end pushrods. Don.

If they are not scored up real bad at the pressure points and all else looks good that's not a bad price, but offer $100.00 or $125.00 anyway. Look them up on Summit and you will be running down to buy these! The adjuster should be a ball type so the push rod will have the cup. Together with the 3/8" push rods you will have a very reliable valve train.

Competition Cams has a set of stainless steel roller rockers made in the US. If I was going to aftermarket rockers, that would be one of my top choices.

Auto Transport Service
Back