• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof pitting

Impatient '71

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
So, I've been trying to determine the best way to fix the pitting on the roof of my 72 satellite. Since they don't make replacement panels I'm debating whether to cut out and graft in new new metal or wondering if the work to do that isn't worth the effort. There is only a small pinhole near the back of the roof with mild pitting on the back half. Does anyone have any other suggestions to repair the pitting or is replacing pieces and spot welding larger pits the way to go. Unfortunately, I don't know of any parts cars around the bay area to get a decent roof off of. I'm not sure the pictures do justice to the problem.

IMG_20190118_205147927.jpg IMG_20190118_205231522.jpg

Your pictures are hard to tell what your working on. Media blasting the are will indicate what you to work with. Once that’s established then you can figure out the right path forward.

Could be a simple as spot repairing a few spots and using high build to smooth things out or you may have to replace the entire panel.

First, get ALL the metal clean to see Exactly what the overall condition is, and see what you're working with. Only then can you assess the proper course of action.

I can assure you that you are about to enter a rabbit hole. My old car was a vinyl top car that was neglected for years. The roof skin was worse than the surface of the moon. I bought a donor roof and started whacking away at the old roof. Basically made my car a vert for 2 days, removed the entire roof pillars and all. It was a 67 Belle.

Unless you wish to do a roof skin I would steer away from much welding on it.
Like mentioned, blast it so you can see what you really have, before it starts to flash rust back spray a coat of primer/ epoxy sealer on it. The holes I would fill with some panel bond if they are tiny or all metal filler once ground clean to bare metal. Then re seal with the epoxy sealer after its blocked out. If your going to go back with the vinyl scuff the sealer and paint.

If not going back with the vinyl , go on with the high build like mentioned and work over any pits left with a finish filler then re prime.
The key is getting all the rust out of the pits and off the panel.

Auto Transport Service
Back