• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Rail Weatherstrip

David Kosin

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Gonna have to replace the roof rail weatherstrip. Mine is so old it shatters in places when you close the door.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions in removing and replacing the weatherstripping? How hard is it to clean the old stuff out of the channel?

Mine was old too but still came out in one piece when I started pulling on it. What was left adhering to and in the channel, I removed with a wire wheel on my cordless drill

Gonna have to replace the roof rail weatherstrip. Mine is so old it shatters in places when you close the door.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions in removing and replacing the weatherstripping? How hard is it to clean the old stuff out of the channel?

Mine pulled out and left nothing behind. It was really easy.

Didn't they use any adhesive?

First -- you're talking about the weather stripping that the windows roll up against right? If so, no glue held it in. I installed the new rubber with no glue and it holds fine. If you remove the stainless trim that holds the window weather stripping, you'll find a strip of thin foam glued (makes a seal between the stainless and roof rail portion of the body. I took a plastic scraper to that foam and it came right off. either way, it was easy.

mine was dried out came right out new one pushed right in did not remove anything

First -- you're talking about the weather stripping that the windows roll up against right? If so, no glue held it in. I installed the new rubber with no glue and it holds fine. If you remove the stainless trim that holds the window weather stripping, you'll find a strip of thin foam glued (makes a seal between the stainless and roof rail portion of the body. I took a plastic scraper to that foam and it came right off. either way, it was easy.
From whom did you purchase?

I know i'm beating this horse to death, but for those who replaced the roof rail weatherstripping, did you, or did you not use any adhesive?

I see Maxrat didn't. Is this the way to go? I sure hope so.

I am going to use it sparingly, on the end where I start and any bends, plus where I finish. I will probably outlive me and I don't want any issues down the road.

I am going to use it sparingly, on the end where I start and any bends, plus where I finish. I will probably outlive me and I don't want any issues down the road.
Sounds like a plan. Good idea to secure the points that have the greatest potential to come undone.

Auto Transport Service
Back