• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotor position in 67 Hemi

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
I was watching a YOUTUBE video on installing a distributor in a big block. I have a 426 Hemi, first time for me, and I had posted months ago a question on setting my dual point distributor into the engine. I understood that I was to make sure that the oil gear drive was set in with the "slot" front-to-back at TDC. Drop in distributor with rotor pointing to #1 spark plug.

I have done that and am having trouble with the car not starting. So I have set and re-set everything we all do in troubleshooting.

But I just watched a YOUTUBE MOPAR video" How to Install a Distributor" and he has the fat end of the rotor pointing toward the #1 spark plug, he calls it the mushroom side of the rotor. Is that correct? A few comments on the video told him he was wrong and I have never seen that done before on other engines BUT I have never had a 67 Hemi with the original dual point distributor. Can someone set me straight on which end of the rotor should point toward the #1 spark plug?

Read the comment below posted by the YOUTUBE GUY to another party who questioned his video:
NOPE Sorry Your Wrong Man....Big "Blunt Mushroom end points at number #1" on a Big Block! The Car Fired right up in an instant after this.....if you point the distributor as you are saying you would be 180* out and blow flames through your carb and car would never start. NOW on a GM you want pointed end to #1 but MOPAR is opposite!

Screenshot (119).png

Dean,
the rotor button doesn’t’ physically point to the number one cylinder on the engine. Number one on the cap on a hemi is the contact right before the hold down clip on the front of the distributor when installed with the vacuum advance pointed to the driver side. Also I would recommend not watching that YouTube guy he’s well for the lack of a better term clueless .

Last edited:
The u-tube idiot has it on the exhaust stroke with the timing mark lined up. So next revolution its on TDC compression strke and will run. Its not rocket science or magic. As long as the rotor is at number one on the end of the compression stroke and there is room to adjust the timing it works. It does not mater where you drop the distributor or drive gear in. You just orient the wires on the cap to work off that position. Its nice to do it the way they left the factory. Myself I always do it like the factory.

The proper way to set a distributor in any engine Hemi or, Wedge is the same. Yes you have the oil pump shaft to deal with, nothing to worry about.

1. Using a screw in tdc finder you will rotate the engine for tdc on power stroke before tdc mark the point where piston stop on cylinder number 1. Then counter rotate crank until you find the atd point. Measure between these two points and mark the balancer, hopefully the grove will be center of the two stops.
2. Pick a connector on top of a distributor cap preferable close to the block and drill a 3/8 hole 1/4 inch in from plug wire connection point where wire pushes into cap.
3. Again mark the balancer for tdc and adjust pointer if its off for true tdc.
4. Loosen the timing cover and on number one cylinder on power stroke rotate crank so dots on cam gear and crank gear face up. "we intall timing gears normally where the 2 dots face each other during engine assembly which is correct.
5. the hard part, with distributor in hand counter rotate body till both sets of points just begin to open and keep the tension on the distributor so the points stay open.
6. With pump drive indexed front to back slide distributor into opening.
7. With distributor engaged theleading brass edge should be just at the beginning of the leading edge of the number spark plug opening in cap.
8. Vacuum Disconnected.
9. All plugs removed, set up number one plug in wire and grounded.
10. With no gas in carb, spray all cylinders with a light spray of marvel mystery oil.
11. Using a timing light again no gas or plugs except for number one.
12. Crank engine with help and look for 2-3 degrees advance with timing light. if you have it lock down distributor and install remaining wires. This will allow engine too start within 2-3 cranks maximum. If you have trouble then your not washing the cylinder walls down and if you did not get a flash with timing light then you know to check voltage to coil for start then run, bad coil bad condenser or ground issue.

Dean,
the rotor button doesn’t’ physically point to the number one cylinder on the engine. Number one on the cap on a hemi is the contact right before the hold down clip on the front of the distributor when installed with the vacuum advance pointed to the driver side. Also I would recommend not watching that YouTube guy he’s well for the lack of a better term clueless .
Dean,
I had the number one wire on the cap just before the hold down clip on the other side facing the valve cover. You're saying the number one spark plug wire should be on the distributor cap just before the hold down clip on the front side near the radiator hoses, correct

I had the number one wire on the cap just before the hold down clip on the other side facing the valve cover. You're saying the number one spark plug wire should be on the distributor cap just before the hold down clip on the front side near the radiator hoses, correct
Yes that is the factory location of #1. If you need to index gear/oil pump shaft to get the distributor correct its no big deal. It really doesn’t matter which point you pick on the cap to be number one just make sure the rotor button is at the terminal you pick when the distributor is installed. Also the rotation of the distributor is CCW so make sure you have the wires correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back