• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Royal Purple vs Amsoil

at almost 44%+ more in cost roughly
$9 RP vs $13 AO
Amsoil is better in his tests, in that viscosity 5w-30w

that was pretty interesting

He is a home brewer wanna be.
While the tests show us something, how this applies to actual in engine oilnflow and protection is beyond me since the oil pump is pressuring the oil through out the system and under heavy loads from the rotors of the pump to the surfaces of the crank and rod bearings and actual heat at the pistons.

This guy is fooling people.

PT Barnum had a saying. “There’s a fool born every minute.” Or was it sucker?

Bad video IMO

While the tests show us something, how this applies to actual in engine oilnflow and protection is beyond me since the oil pump is pressuring the oil through out the system and under heavy loads from the rotors of the pump to the surfaces of the crank and rod bearings and actual heat at the pistons.

Bad video IMO
The instrument was called the tapered bearing simulator viscometer. The technique was accepted by ASTM as test method D4683 for use at 150 degrees C (and more recently as D6616 for use at 100 degrees C). This critical bench test of engine oil quality became known as high temperature, high shear rate (HTHS) viscosity. Minimum limits were then imposed for various grades in the SAE viscosity classification system.

Interestingly, it was later shown that this instrument was unique and basically absolute in providing measures of both shearing torque or shear stress and shear rate while operating. It is the only known viscometer capable of doing this.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30329/engine-oil-quality

One Armed bandit testing... No thanks.

Bad video IMO
It's real..........

Good video. Amsoil outperformed Royal Purple. Royal Purple is not a true synthetic. Amsoil is.
I’ve had a man made issue or two and am convinced that the engine would have been destroyed without the protection thst Amsoil provided.

Our old engines weren't designed to run on this stuff anyhow... 40 years since rebuild now, running on cheap Dino oil, and my 383 is still as smooth as my paint.

Nobody else notice he dumped the cold Amsoil first.. before the Purple?

That cooked RP won’t go in anything I own.

Video I saw, the Amsoil dumped first because it flowed better. Must have seen a different one.

Video I saw, the Amsoil dumped first because it flowed better. Must have seen a different one.
Watch it and stop the video, his rack is crooked and the Amsoil vile is lower than the Purple. I don't care, I won't use either in a 20th century engine.

Wether the tests applied to real world or not, in the unbiased tests he ran in his video AMS out performed RP. Can’t deny that

I thought the videos and his tests was pretty good for a guy doing tests out if his garage.
Either way, I think I'll continue to use Mobil 1 in my cars.

If you watch his other videos he does a good job making sure the test conditions are fair, and points out the weaknesses.
I don't think the guy is biased at all. He uses proper scientific method.

Some extreme testing, It does have some merit IMO. I'm not all that experienced with synthetic oils, I've always used Rotella in my engines and change every 3000 miles or 6 months. Never lost a engine to this date and so I guess if spending the extra $$ for synthetics gives you piece of mind then that's all that matters. If the machine work was done properly and clearances are right I feel we're splitting hairs on a street engine, racing and extreme duty applications will vary from engine to engine build to build. So guess what I'm saying is unless your beating the crap out of your stuff for extended periods a good standard oil will be sufficient for street duty as long as you keep the system clean and filtered. On a side note , remember that all oil filters are not created equal, Wix and NAPA Gold are my choice of filters and you couldn't pay me to use a Fram filter...IMO

Last edited:
Good video. Amsoil outperformed Royal Purple. Royal Purple is not a true synthetic. Amsoil is.
I’ve had a man made issue or two and am convinced that the engine would have been destroyed without the protection thst Amsoil provided.
SOME RP oils aren't true synthetics. Their group IV and V are.
I can tell you this about RP synthetic. You can run it in an engine power by straight alcohol in which the carb must be jetted almost 3x richer than gas. This washes down cylinder walls and fills oil pans/tanks with alcohol.
A non syn oil will be diluted by the alcohol. The RP synthetic stays separated. At the end of racing you can drain the oil tank into A metal pan and then burn off the alcohol. The oil can then be poured back into the engine.
If they used a group III oil vs Amsoil it was not a fair test.
Amsoil has been called out for this kind of testing in the past.

Auto Transport Service
Back