• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rr or satilite

mulutchoker

Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
i have ,for all intent a purposes ,a 68 RR. this car is completly gutted and there are no vin.#s anywhere on this car.ive owned it for many years and its a drag car only.but there has been some dout to weather or not its really a RR,not that it makes it worth a penny more as a guted ,unregesterable race car,but i was just wondering if there are no #,s is there a way to tell what it is? AJ

A picture of the stock hood maybe...........If it's still there, that is.........Tail panel may be a clue too...........:santa:

Was the vin stamped on the radiator support in 1968?

No, it would be the SO (sales order) number and the only way to tie it to the V.I.N. is with the B/S or IBM card. If you don't find these in the car you will never know unless you find the V.I.N. trough previous owner.

If it has had suspension changes etc. there are probably no telltale signs left to make a determination. Is it sn early or late car/ is it a hardtop or coupe? They did not make RR hardtops until around Jan. of 1968.

You might could tell if it was a HEMI car because of boxed front spring hangers and the other added gussets. BUT my 69 Hemi car does NOT have the ones in the front (which experts will tell you they all had). It DOES have all the ones in the rear.

its a post car,stock front susp.

When you say stock suspension, what do you mean? RRs had Rallye suspension standard, but it could have been ordered as an option on any B body too. What are the numbers on the back end of the torsion bars?

You might could tell if it was a HEMI car because of boxed front spring hangers and the other added gussets. BUT my 69 Hemi car does NOT have the ones in the front (which experts will tell you they all had). It DOES have all the ones in the rear.

Well, the REAL experts will tell you that torque boxes were not ALWAYS on a Hemi car. it was hit and miss and seems especially absent on many 66-68 cars.

However, all true Hemi cars WILL have the triangular shaped gusset plates on the rear spring hanger outboard area AND the EXTRA (one on top of another) floor reinforcement at the pinion snubber area.

Yep. Mine has the boxes, the gussets by the shackles, and the snubber plate. Just no gussets at the front.

Yep. Mine has the boxes, the gussets by the shackles, and the snubber plate. Just no gussets at the front.

What do you mean by gussets at the front? you mean up by the torsion bar crossmember? If so, that is usually not a Hemi thing but a convertible thing. Some of the later (70-71) cars wit hipo engines like 440-6s got them as well, but very seldom seen on earlier cars.

Whatever you say. But I've seen Hemi cars with the gussets in the front as well.

Check for the second exhaust hanger also. Not necessarily RR exclusive, but it would be big block exclusive. Just another clue.

A Satellite would almost certainly have trim on it a runner wouldn't, leaving holes in the bodywork

A Satellite would almost certainly have trim on it a runner wouldn't, leaving holes in the bodywork
you are the 3rd one to say this,there have been no trim holes patched.is there anyway we can verify this?

Auto Transport Service
Back