• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ruined my car (temporarily)

66 Sat

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Had a new 2.5" exhaust system fitted this week, got the car back today. The old system was a mix of 2.25" and 2
5", hung too low from the diff back and was a dog's breakfast. Anyway, I had some new mufflers fitted at the same time, Thrush Glasspacks (the long 23" ones) to replace the no-name muffler shop ones (which actually sounded ok). WOW! What a noise (and not a very nice one).
It sounds great at idle but wide open throttle it's ear splitting and not a particularly nice sound. In fact, I hate it! I've had glasspacks before and loved them but I guess 25 years of maturity makes a big difference to one's tastes.
Thankfully he did a great job on the rest of the system, so just more money down the drain for some new (quieter) mufflers asap. Any recommendations for something quiet that also sounds good? I'm not driving it again until I get it fixed, it's that bad.
Before:
20210606_155522.jpg

After:
20210903_095116.jpg

Wow that bad? That's crazy...I'm a huge fan of dynomax ultra flo welded mufflers...have them on both of my cars

I'm kind of partial to Dynomax stuff myself. Despise Flowmasters.

Manga flow sound nice as do dynomax... sell the old ones on CL or FBMP. Nice looking car!

I've been researching and it seems Dynomax Super Turbo 17748 could be the best option.

Factory hemi mufflers sound good too, ECS has a perfect reproductions.

Wow that bad? That's crazy...I'm a huge fan of dynomax ultra flo welded mufflers...have them on both of my cars
It really is that bad. The sound goes right into your head, very uncomfortable. At some points in the rev range it's quite pleasant but there's a horrible resonance at about 1300 rpm, and when you accelerate briskly it just makes a horrible farty noise. It does sound good from the outside according to my kids, but inside the car it's awful.

Wow Kieran, sweet car. I think it's the first time I've seen it. I too am interested in choice of mufflers as I'm about to do the same as you.

I have Flowmasters on my (otherwise bone-stock) '70 Charger 318 and I'm having the same issue. I HATE them. Idle is OK. In-town? Droooonnnnneeeeee. Bad enough to rattle trim and vibrate my contact lenses. I'm leaning towards SuperTurbos (had them years ago on my Satellite and they were nice), or Magnaflows. Depends on local shop availability, and pricing.

I'm with you though - that noise takes all the joy out of driving these classics.

Pics look great though, much nicer appearance!

I know that some dislike (hate!) them, but Flowmaster 40's?
Got those on Fred now.
They're borderline obnoxious, especially on a mild 440 in 3" all the way back both sides.
Inside the car, they set up a drone at cruising speed that's annoying as hell.

Wow Kieran, sweet car. I think it's the first time I've seen it. I too am interested in choice of mufflers as I'm about to do the same as you.
Agreed. Sweet looking car!

Got those on Fred now.
They're borderline obnoxious, especially on a mild 440 in 3" all the way back both sides.
Inside the car, they set up a drone at cruising speed that's annoying as hell.
I've heard them referred to as 'drone-masters'. You seem to be validating that moniker.

My vote is for the dynomax ultraflo mufflers. Love them.

The tailpipe exit on the new exhuast looks much better.
I recommend the hemi mufflers I had them on my Charger for a couple years until I blew them to smitherenes one day.
They were excellent.

I've heard them referred to as 'drone-masters'. You seem to be validating that moniker.
Flowmaster 40's? They really are proficient at drone-producing.

Auto Transport Service
Back