• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running out of options !

Mikke H

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
Bought the car 2 years a go very ruff shape started to sort it out it had a sligth tvitsch at all rpm levels under load and off load !So i started to mesure things up .It had 4 bad cylinders leaking valves the carbs baseplates were varped do to overtorqe and leaking and so on .Hawe now rebuilt the engine new pistons full head restauration the works !Hawe also installd new carbs stock setup new fuellines all the way to tank new fuelpump .Replased all ignition hardvere exept the ditributor itself .Chekt all connektions new battery full voltage att all points messured everything !New ignition box today allso bypased the ignition key part and bulhead conektor by wire from battery to resistor and the darn thing still has the the twitsh att all rpm levels !What to check next ? Running out off options here ?

I can only guess what a tvitsch is but my first stop would be to check for stuck or leaking advance/spark scatter.

Mezzanine_499.jpg.fit.980x551.jpg

Checkt that no wear no exessive play vacum ok no leak checkt pickup 0.08 gap .

Check that cap and wires again,
Look at the engine in low light,see if you see any ignition sparks jumping to ground.....
Are the tailpipes right at the very end by bumpers very hot? Did you put a vacuum gauge on and see how it reads?
I assume you don’t have points and are referring to the air gap in distributor

New cap and rotor,steady vacuum 17 at idle, new wires, yes gap in distributor .Will do the low light test today .Tailpipes what is the theory on that ?

Bad ground? It's probably time to start checking voltages with a multimeter. Might have a bad bulkhead connection or a corroded wire that isn't passing enough juice. I want to say my brother had a weird electrical issue that was eventually traced back to the ignition switch in the column so it may be something stupid.

Extremely hot tailpipe points toward a vacuum leak but if your gage is completely steady your probably ok....check those wires on the plug ends make sure there on....do you have a spare coil,I’d try that.

Looks like electronic. Check the distributor number has the right one for the car. Can be the wrong curve in it.

Electronic ignition new coil ,plugs,wires ,box started the car in the dark last night to check for sparks nothing !Hot wired whit wire direkt from battery to plus terminal on coil to eliminate start and bulkhead issues did not help !Have checked ground points. Tryed different spark advance have no effekt on the problem, filled up whit fresh gas to eliminate gas issues .

English is not your first language, is it ? :poke:

What is the condition of the oil pump intermediate shaft in the block. If it is worn it will cause the dizzy shaft to wobble. Think what that does at the top of the dizzy shaft.

When I see multiple spelling and grammar errors, as I often do with YOURS, Steve, I am often annoyed and hesitant to respond.

When I see multiple spelling and grammar errors, as I often do with YOURS, Steve, I am often annoyed and hesitant to respond.
Really mine? I see you didn't hesitate to respond here. I also see you do this same thing on another car forum when you can get away with it.
Im sorry you get so annoyed on a car forum about a incorrectly spelled word. Since your unhappy in your current job and the traveling involved, why not go get your bachelors in education, then your masters and become a English teacher. That way you can help the world with their grammar instead of acting out like a ------e on a car forum.
Now are you going to share some of your automotive knowledge and help this guy or just continue to show your bad manners?

The intermidiet shaft bushing is new the shaft had some minor scrathes nothing bad .Dont hawe a extra distributor to test whit ,going to se if any off my buddies hawe one but if the problem is ignition related i hawe replased everything but the pikup in distributor an i ordered one today .When the pikup arives i vill pull the distributor and dissasamble it anything to look out for any known veakpoints there ?

Just curious. What is the car and engine?
Those are two nice looking cars in your avatar.

Longshot what gap on plugs whit elektronik dist ?Have 040 now.

Auto Transport Service
Back