• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Under The Vinyl Top

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
Several small blisters center front and back of the roof, near the glass moldings. I'm just going to pull the old off and make repairs to the metal and have the roof painted black. I have read a couple of posts about the two different sizes of roof rail moldings, vinyl vs non-vinyl. Sounds like a can of worms at this end. I know the interior will have to be gutted. This is the original headliner, anyone had any trouble reinstalling fabric this old (67')? Any issues working around the front and rear glass when reinstalling a headliner? What have you used to get the old glue off the roof? Any other suggestions you could make would be helpful.

Thanks

I would say that if the rust is bad enough to raise the vinyl. Then you might have bigger issues under the vinyl. Rust spreads. This was my old 67 Belvedere. Looked like the surface of the moon. Cut the roof off and replaced the entire thing.
SAM_5739.png
SAM_5741.JPG
SAM_5739.png
SAM_5968.JPG SAM_5969.JPG SAM_5970.JPG SAM_5971.JPG SAM_5972.JPG SAM_5973.JPG SAM_5974.JPG

Last edited:
I would say that if the rust is bad enough to raise the vinyl. Then you might have bigger issues under the vinyl. Rust spreads. This was my old 67 Belvedere. Looked like the surface of the moon. Cut the roof off and replaced the entire thing.
View attachment 654007 View attachment 654008 View attachment 654010 View attachment 654013 View attachment 654014 View attachment 654015 View attachment 654016 View attachment 654017 View attachment 654018 View attachment 654019

I pray mine isn't that bad. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I hope so too. Although it really was fun to me to replace the entire thing. I didnt want to I had to.

Here it is 90% installed
SAM_6021.JPG
SAM_6022.JPG
SAM_6023.JPG

All I can say is, be prepared and expect the worse. Most times it is, hopefully you're lucky and not too bad. Good luck.

Thats why I would have never put the vinyl roof back on the Roadrunner but the dude wanted it on there. Its not a numbers matching car so I would have "If it were mine" went with the A12 look.

Just remember, These cars were only primed and then the vinyl top was installed. No paint to "seal" the moisture out.
Any car that was not restored needs both front and rear glass removed along with the top and everything cleaned,
primed, and painted. A lotta work, but necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back