• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rusty rotors

rich hourigan

Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have a question concerning my new rotors. I have the complete Kframe and all suspension parts all rebuilt and on a US Cartool stand awaiting the body shop to return my car, everything is beautiful better than day one, i am storing the assembly in my house garage and while its some what warm and dry the rotors are getting the dreaded surface rust. Can someone tell me how to clean the rust off these rotors without disassembly and how to prevent the rust from returning. Thanks for any and all responses..Rich

Do you have a dehumidifier running in your shop?? I ran into that with some freshly restored parts, so went out and bought a big one with drain hose ran out the corner of a door. Set at 35% humidity and haven't had anything rust again yet. Your rotor itself,did you RPM or Boeshield the casting. Braking surface should clean up with some steel wool or scotchbrite.

Go to Home Depot and buy a king size mattress bag and wheel the whole thing in and seal it up.

While you're waiting for the car to come back, remove the brake calipers and wipe the rotors down with WD40. If you want to put the calipers back on take the pads out first so they don't get contaminated. Before you put everything into service wash the WD40 off with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner. Don't worry about the rust, it will rub off in use.

FWIW most disk brake rotors rust almost overnight in wet or winter weather and it just rubs off the next time the vehicle is driven,

Metal Prep. Then paint them. The pads will wear the paint off when you drive it. The paint will keep the fine and hubs from getting rusty.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back