• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RVers out there?

moparwacko

YUGE GOLD MEMBER
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Been camping for many years, and would like recommendations from other RV guys on where their favorite destinations are. I've drug a camper through all of the lower 48 except Nebraska, figured there wasn't much there lol.
What kinds of RVS do you have?
Tow rigs?
Best campgrounds?
Best experiences?
Worst?
I currently have a 35' Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel. Pulled by a Ram CC TD, 2011.

Bought my first in 1978, Fleetwood Prowler. Had many since. Current is a 2010 Coachman Freelander mini motorhome. Was out this past weekend.Traveled all over the southeast,midwest,and southwest.Hope to do northern states soon (takin' care of Mom-in-law). Wife and I stay around home,only go 100-200 miles away in case we need to get back for family issues.Still enjoy it.

Just got our first RV last year so we could go camping with friends. Its a vintage 1976 Dodge.
Birds Hill 1.JPG

77 Dodge Camper Special 24 ft Excel body. Unfortunately we do not use it much anymore the car and 10 man tent is a much cheap way to camp. When gas got over 2.00 per gal it made more since to just take the car and stay in a motel. We do like to go camping and some day when life slows we will go again.

IMG_3066.JPG
I bought a new 22' Travel trailer a few years ago that I tow with my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I tow across the mountain passes mostly in Washington and Oregon and I wouldn't like to tow anything much heavier. When I'm out on the flat it's no big deal. I've thought about a class C motor home but the nice ones are pretty expensive.
My favorite campgrounds are along the Oregon coast. When the weather is good you can't beat it. You have to book real early in the year to get a spot in the summer. I usually go in June before school's out or late September. I'll be camping by Tillamook next month.

Ive been living in motorhomes since 94, all Class C Dodges.
Current one is a 22 ft. Dodge Fireball with a 360. A keeper for life. Turned the center section into a shop.

View attachment 408206 I bought a new 22' Travel trailer a few years ago that I tow with my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I tow across the mountain passes mostly in Washington and Oregon and I wouldn't like to tow anything much heavier. When I'm out on the flat it's no big deal. I've thought about a class C motor home but the nice ones are pretty expensive.
My favorite campgrounds are along the Oregon coast. When the weather is good you can't beat it. You have to book real early in the year to get a spot in the summer. I usually go in June before school's out or late September. I'll be camping by Tillamook next month.
Sounds great, we're always looking for good oceanfront campgrounds. I remember staying in Salem at Phoenix RV park and touring the coast there. We then went to Crescent City CA, then on to the redwoods. Beautiful country out there.

Great information and timely too, since the wife and I are ready to buy and do some traveling.

Planning to tow "something" with my Ram TD also, just haven't decided yet between "trailer" or "5th wheel". Big differences?...or not so much?

I've owned them both.If you can the 5th wheel tows great.You will hear the term "Bumper pull" meaning a class 3 or 5 hitch under the bumper. The 5th wheel has much less sway when a Semi passes at highway speed than the bumper pull.

I've owned them both.If you can the 5th wheel tows great.You will hear the term "Bumper pull" meaning a class 3 or 5 hitch under the bumper. The 5th wheel has much less sway when a Semi passes at highway speed than the bumper pull.
Thanks, that's about what I expected. 5th wheel tows a bit nicer, but at the expense of lost cargo room in the truck bed. Also, it seems the 5th wheels are a bit more expensive, true? So, given a choice you would pick the 5th wheel over the bumper pull.

I've owned both. Several of both. There is no comparison, a 5th wheel tows much nicer. Overall length is shorter, parks easier, but sometimes more expensive. Having owned lots of them, I would recommend getting what suits you and your intentions. How much time are you going to spend in it? How far are you comfortable towing? Taking kids/grandkids? Lots of variables, lots of choices. Basic recommendation- aluminum frame, fiberglass exterior.

Plan to travel anywhere/everywhere in the lower 48, probably 1500 to 2000 miles one way at times. South during the winters, north during the summers. I envision 6 to 8 weeks during the winter away, and maybe a month or so during the summers. Mostly just the wife and I, but occasionally a couple kids along too. Too old for tents, pop-ups, have done that before and don't think I could handle it now. I'd just stay in a hotel but they don't like for you to start a campfire in the parking lot to make 'smores. :(

If you are going to tow a regular travel trailer long distances I generally recommend a tow vehicle that has a towing capacity of about double the weight of the trailer to be on the safe side. Sure, you can tow a 10K lb. trailer with most a half ton trucks and I've done it, but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton. Towing in the mountains is a lot different than towing on the interstate in the midwest. I tow a 5400 lb. (dry) trailer over a 5000 ft pass twice every summer and I sure wouldn't want to use anything smaller than my Dodge Cummins 2500. I like feeling like I'm not pushing my tow vehicle too hard. JMHO.

Mmissle, you're in the mid to heavy user category. Meaning that it's just not an occasional weekend trip. If you're going to spend that amount of time in one, and tow that long, you're needing quality, and space.
Quality & space = $$$, and probably well north of 50k.
Smitty is correct, get the biggest tow vehicle possible. It's rarely a problem getting them going, it's getting them stopped. You got that part covered, nothing beats a Cummins TD with the exhaust brake for towing.

This is a great topic. Within the next 5 years, I'd like to think that I can buy either a slightly used class C motorhome or a big enough trailer to tow and go out for a couple months at a time & travel the country. When I've seen all I want to see (after a couple of years), then sell it.

Any thoughts on which would be the way to go; motorhome or trailer?

IMG_0546.JPG

We bought this trailer about 7 years ago - used. It's got a large slide out in the living room and dining room areas. The only downside is that the slide out needs to be out so you can open the bathroom door to use it. We've used it about 6 times so far and we love it. Towing with the Denali on hot days makes the engine temperature climb into the red zone. So summer towing is out of the picture for the most part. If I wasn't so frugal, I would opt for a motor home - the bus size. The other type I think I would like is the fifth wheeler.

I haven't camped in some while. But my favorite places where the North Shore of Lake Superior and through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
The great Lakes of Superior, Huron and Upper Michigan are beautiful

This is a great topic. Within the next 5 years, I'd like to think that I can buy either a slightly used class C motorhome or a big enough trailer to tow and go out for a couple months at a time & travel the country. When I've seen all I want to see (after a couple of years), then sell it.

Any thoughts on which would be the way to go; motorhome or trailer?
Class C, V-10.

The best thing to do is research,research, and do some more.When it comes to RV's there are so many and all have quarks like the slides and having not much access inside when the slide is closed.Bumper pull rigs under 24ft can be bought without a slide but each year there are less being built.We had a '06 Layton 24ft no slide that was perfect for the 2 of us.We even had pizza party's with 6 people in comfort.Now we went to a Class C motorhome no slide that is great but the bathroom is tiny.I go 225 lbs and 6ft.It is quite cramped.Of course no bathroom is big enough when it comes to the ladies.

I bought a used Super C in 2010 a 1999 Renegade 1816MG with a garage that I load my TJ in
Will be loading this afternoon to head to Moab Utah for Easter Jeep Safari
The New versions of this unit goes under 1816AG and out of my price range
will live in it for 5 weeks then back home to work and pay for the fuel

Auto Transport Service
Back