• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RWL or black walls, what do you guys like.......

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Tire buying time guys, slowly getting my factory black 73 roadworthy. When I got the car ten plus years ago , a true clunker with a locked up engine, it had an old severely abused set of Keystone Classics with RWL tires And that is how I have looked at it for many , many years. I have decided to stick with , and ordered a new set of Keystones......so, now , to stick with RWL on this black car or black walls is my pondering, any opinions please...

IMG_0152.jpg

Last edited:
I went with b f goodrich, because of the matching tread design between different size tires. Turned the letters in.

20200604_195101.jpg

I turn the RWL's in. Just me but I think they look too gaudy and take away from the looks of the vehicle.

For me, it depends on the vehicle. My pick ups all get black side out, no white letters, as I like a truck to look like a truck. Early & mid 60's, black walls, as they didn't have white letter design at that point. '68 & up, possible white letters depending on the match to the wheel, and look on the car ? Sometimes it adds a nice accent to the look...
0516201420.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_4315.JPG
15" Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on my '73. I drive in the 65-80 mph range on the highway. I also drive when it's raining.
Black sidewall.

Last edited:
On SP, I have White Walls. When the car was born, it had a white top. It now has its white top again. So, we bought skinny white walls for this car. Here is the back rider's side. Sorry it is not on the ground, but you will get the idea. So, as said above, I think it depends on the car. I am not that good of a design expert, but I do like the white walls with the white top. Best, B.

IMG_4160.jpeg

Old school keystones would look best paired with old schools tires: RWL.

Topic related.........What is the best product to cover white raised letters when tires are turned in??

Real race tires, white letter out. Other than that, i agree with Vandan, depends on the car, vintage and color. With your 73 black car, i would probably have the rwl out, if i was proud of the brand. As always, do what YOU like, don't give a crap what others dont like.

20191124_164041.jpg 20180728_105501.jpg 20200302_122341.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus damn white letter haters here wow:D:D:D.......All kidding aside I love the look of the white letters on these old cars. Just reminds me of the whitewall and white letters of that era. Not the same tires but the look is awesome for me its White letters out baby!

I’m a RWL guy. But only like them if the letters are the small ones such as Goodyear polyglas tires from back in the day. You can still be them from Universal Vintage Tire in Ohio.

I say black walls out. I don't think my car should be a billboard advertising the tire company. Also, it clutters up the look of the car .

In Florida everyone drives in the rain.

On SP, I have White Walls. When the car was born, it had a white top. It now has its white top again. So, we bought skinny white walls for this car. Here is the back rider's side. Sorry it is not on the ground, but you will get the idea. So, as said above, I think it depends on the car. I am not that good of a design expert, but I do like the white walls with the white top. Best, B.

View attachment 966136
I like the white walls also. I have the wide whites on my 60 Dart since that was the style back then. Just don't much care for the RWL because of the flip-flip-flipping look when someone is driving past slowly. It looks like something is out of balance or a growth of something that don't belong. Just my opinion of course. I wouldn't chastise anyone for doing it though. To each their own.

Phoenix Lside2.Jpg

I prefer no white letters. But what tires have a nice smooth black sidewall without a bunch of designs embossed on them? ( Ribs etc.) And keeping radials with tread design on the shoulders , clean, is a PITA......................MO

I like the white walls also. I have the wide whites on my 60 Dart since that was the style back then. Just don't much care for the RWL because of the flip-flip-flipping look when someone is driving past slowly. It looks like something is out of balance or a growth of something that don't belong. Just my opinion of course. I wouldn't chastise anyone for doing it though. To each their own.

View attachment 966201
Some cars just have to have wide whites.

20190409_212339.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back