• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe Manual Shifting a 727

66 Sat

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
A recent thread had a member damage his 727 manual shifting into 1 when accelerating hard.
I regularly manual downshift (and upshift) my 727. I used to shift my C4 and 904 the same way for years with no issues.
Are there safe rules to follow with these auto boxes to prevent damage?

- I don't do "neutral drops".

- I often hold it 1 and then shift 1, 2, D away from the lights, shifting at 5,800 rpm.

- I often manual shift from D to 2 at about 3,000 rpm and then nail the throttle a moment later, or sometimes while I still have my foot down.

- I sometimes shift from D to 1 at lower speeds, usually with my foot still hard on the throttle.

- I rarely shift from D to 2 or 1 to slow the car.

Am I slowly killing my transmission?

I am far from a transmission expert, but to me it sounds like you are kicking the crap out of transmission lol .

Its an automatic transmission for a reason. Its not meant to be used like a manual ( unless modified specifically for that purpose )

The up shifting from a stand still , i don't think is any problem at all. The down shifting on the other hand...... i feel like your putting some extra stress that is not needed.

Look forward to hearing some of the more experienced replies..

A recent thread had a member damage his 727 manual shifting into 1 when accelerating hard.
I regularly manual downshift (and upshift) my 727. I used to shift my C4 and 904 the same way for years with no issues.

- I often hold it 1 and then shift 1, 2, D away from the lights, shifting at 5,800 rpm.

- I often manual shift from D to 2 at about 3,000 rpm and then nail the throttle a moment later, or sometimes while I still have my foot down.

- I sometimes shift from D to 1 at lower speeds, usually with my foot still hard on the throttle.

What motor are you shifting ?

The other thread was not confirmed. He mentioned gear vendors OD and no mention of the rear end. He thinks it was the trans.

We broke more rear ends and axles neutral dropping than transmissions. Not saying it’s okay to do but when your 16 with 150hp you’ll do just about anything to spin a tire.

I also thought that a stock 727 wouldn’t go into first from drive after a certain speed, or wouldn’t engine brake. Might be mixing that up with something else.

Yes make sure you baby that Torqueflite....LOL. The next owner will thank you!:rolleyes:
I wouldn't drop it all the way into first at more than maybe 10 mph...and I've never done a "neutral drop", that even sounds painful...but I've always done things like simultaneously stomp the throttle while downshifting to 2nd from a 3rd-gear cruise, as long as I'm not going so fast as to over-rev the engine. Manual 1-2-D for maximum-giddyup plenty of times....
The only time I broke a 727, the stupid little rear band support snapped, backing out of the driveway (a year after it was pulled from a junkyard, got fresh fluid & filter, and used..)
The 727 can take quite a bit of abuse...

What could go wrong?

27a8789287a8ca33c15ee8889610acf6-jpg.jpg

Sad to see you have not learned.

Shifting from third to second on acceleration is what kickdown linkage is for. I see no reason for the manual abuse.

Dang I guess I better keep it in Drive from now on, according to the internet mine's gonna break any day now...
:rofl:

It's doing a big burnout in manual low, letting off the gas , and ruining the sprag that's the big deal. Big no-no.

Auto Transport Service
Back