• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sagging suspension after adjusting.

greenmachine

Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score
1969 coronet 440 model 2dht. All new suspension poly bushings. 1.03 bars. I adjusted the torsion bar bolts so 3/4” gap between bump stop and control arm. Went for drive and now 1/4”. I’m thinking my poly lower control arm bushings are letting the pivot shaft rotate in the bushing or I tore the bushing. Going to reset height and do paint reference marks on bushing, pins to check for rotation.

Did you roll the car back and forth after adjusting and before driving? If not, there's your problem.

Torque the control arm bushing with the full weight of the car on the ground (not on a lift or jacked up).

Torque the control arm bushing with the full weight of the car on the ground (not on a lift or jacked up).
That's the way you do all the bushings etc......at ride height.

I would agree with "Cranky" once making your adjustment did you lower the car roll the car back and forth and cycle the suspension. I would do that and double your measurements. If you are running upper and lower poly bushing then you can torque down the upper and lower control arms with our without the weight of the vehicle on the suspension as the poly bushings rotated with the sleeves. The rubber bushings are vulcanized to the shell so is a best to torque them with the suspension loaded.

James From
PST

Auto Transport Service
Back