• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sail panel molding access

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
My chrome sail panel moldings are in tough shape on the 67 RT. To my surprise the engineers really didn’t design the mounting very well. Correct me if I’m wrong but it appears the sail panel headliner has to be removed without ruining it and all the chrome inside molding around the rear windshield have to be removed along with the headliner tack sheet metal. Geez.
First generation mustangs used tube nuts that just pressed into the hole. These nuts had tangs on the outside and tangs on the inside to grip the stud as it was pressed through. They used these on all their letters and emblems, no nuts from the inside. I was thinking about trying this. Has anyone else figured a better method to install these?

No real easy way, but it can be done without destroying the headliner.
Pull the rear seat, package tray and remove the rear window side trim. The bottom of the headliner can in most cases be unhooked from the attaching teeth without damage, enough that you can get a nut driver in there to remove the speed nuts.

Pull the rear seat, package tray and remove the rear window side trim. The bottom of the headliner can in most cases be unhooked from the attaching teeth without damage, enough that you can get a nut driver in there to remove the speed nuts.
Thanks I was just looking at mine yesterday, and was thinking thats what would need to be done,

I think you’ll find the holes for that trim piece are not a very good size to use tube clips. It’s right in the area where the quarter and the roof pilar come together, rough area and the holes are large (relative to a trim item hole). You’ll need to take the headliner apart to get access anyway, just put them back on. If you replace them you should never need to do it again.

I have a 67 Coronet and thought you might try removing rear door panel and look to see if you could possibly access it. I am speculating
Have your magnet on a stick, you will be fishing for wrenches.

the headliner tack strip in that corner still either has to be bent out of the way or removed there is no clean access to the rearward speed nut

I have the same issue.... on my 67 R/T.

My interior is in and the sail top lower trim did not get installed (not by me).

Can the trim just be glued and sealed.....?

Their a lot of high quality sealants and adhesives on the market?

or is this Mopar blasphemy?

My interior is in and the sail top lower trim did not get installed (not by me).

This is the opposite problem that these guys are trying to solve, they are trying to get them off and your trying to get them on. You are just ending up at the same place. I wouldn't recommend your solution but you are right it will work and save a lot of labor, the only person that may curse you is a future owner.

On the junk RT I bought to strip for parts I purposely snapped an old one off to see how easy the tabs break. They break fairly easy and with caution you can avoid paint damage. I wouldn’t worry about blasphemy, once installed they will be there for life. I’m gutting the parts car, gaining access to the rear speed but is not easy. If your headliner is anything less than really fresh I think you stand an excellent chance to damage it. Even then the u shaped shark tooth strip will have to be removed or that bottom most corner bent out of the way to gain access. Never mind the fact that the rear windshield is also cramping access. I’m still researching tube nut inserts. Size of the factory holes is approximately 11/32.

Auto Transport Service
Back