• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Satellite stuck in 'Park'

Metwurst

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
I have just installed a stroker 408 using the A904 that was behind the original 318. The motor is a new, the converter is a PTC 2200 stall unit. The trans has been left untouched, save for a new pan, gasket and filter. After installing the driveshaft I tried to push the car into another position in the garage, but it would not move an inch. I moved the shifter through all gears, still the car would not move, and it appears it is stuck in Park. Even when it was placed on a hoist and checked underneath for any obstructions, still no movement. I had to remove the driveshaft to push it around the garage again.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just had a similar problem like this with my Firebird. I know it’s a different car but just an idea check the transmission cable..

My car would be stuck in park, and it wouldn’t move so I checked the cable because it turns out it was binding, and the shifter would move to reverse neutral Drive in all the positions, but it wouldn’t actually turn the transmission. It would only move around with the shifter, but the car was still in park so I disconnected the cable and I just turned it manually to be able to move the car .

I ordered a new cable, so I’m waiting for it as soon as it comes up I should be OK.

Best of luck I hope that solves your problem

Did you try to turn the transmission output once the shaft was off? If it still wont turn in either direction in neutral then its time to pull the pan and inspect the park rod movement.

If all else checks out, you may need to pull the extension housing to verify the park sprag return spring isn't broken.

I just had a similar problem like this with my Firebird. I know it’s a different car but just an idea check the transmission cable..

My car would be stuck in park, and it wouldn’t move so I checked the cable because it turns out it was binding, and the shifter would move to reverse neutral Drive in all the positions, but it wouldn’t actually turn the transmission. It would only move around with the shifter, but the car was still in park so I disconnected the cable and I just turned it manually to be able to move the car .

I ordered a new cable, so I’m waiting for it as soon as it comes up I should be OK.

Best of luck I hope that solves your problem

I moved the shifter through all gears, still the car would not
What is the physical connection from shifter to trans? Cable? Linkage? Did you look and see if it's connected at both ends, appears to move the trans shift lever?? If all looks good, time to pull the pan and check the parking pawl... maybe clip got knocked off during filter change??? Crazy I know...

Many thanks Purepony.
As my Plymouth has linkages and no cable it is a different Shifter set-up. Whilst the car was on the hoist with the driveshaft installed and a buddy trying to rotate the wheels in a forward direction, no result. I had disconnected the shifter rod from the shifter inside the car. I was moving the selector lever at the transmission through the gears, but no result. The only way the wheels would turn was to remove the driveshaft.

What is the physical connection from shifter to trans? Cable? Linkage? Did you look and see if it's connected at both ends, appears to move the trans shift lever?? If all looks good, time to pull the pan and check the parking pawl... maybe clip got knocked off during filter change??? Crazy I know...
Linkages throughout from shifter to the selector lever at the transmission.
I also thought it may be something in the trans as everything else is working as it should.
Thanks for your comments and will take the pan off in the morning.

Auto Transport Service
Back