• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Satellites...what would you do?

levicah

Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
74' satellite, 318 w/727trans and column shift. Should I do a roadrunner clone or a numbers correct resto?...clone would be funner with a 440 and shift on the floor. Which would be the better investment?

Doesn't matter.. The cost of finding all the parts to make it a 440 will likely be a break even for the increase in value and would be likely easier to sell. The correct restoration on my '68 Coronet with the 318 is the way I went since it lasted 48 years virtually unmolested I could not be the one to molest it. I have had 3 offers to buy mine at shows in the last year because of the ways it looks, not because it is a 318. If you keep it a 318 make it a fun car to look at and cruise with. A factory stock look won't add any value or curb appeal when you sell it.

When you say investment are you speaking to a monetary value or smiles per gallon?
Not trying to insult but you have to look at what the car is, a 74 Satellite , it will never be a RR no matter how much yiu sink into it and a restored numbers matching 74 Satellite isn't going to command anything near what you invest to do that...
Do what youve always wanted to do or can afford and enjoy it... if it were mine it would get a big block and shift on the floor. If you like the RR packages have at it, to me a nice clone is better than a real deal as you won't be as afraid of pounding on it...
If you're looking for a return on an investment find something else, remember not many people build cars and make a profit, the profit is in the purchase.
Post some pics !!!

When you say investment are you speaking to a monetary value or smiles per gallon?
Not trying to insult but you have to look at what the car is, a 74 Satellite , it will never be a RR no matter how much yiu sink into it and a restored numbers matching 74 Satellite isn't going to command anything near what you invest to do that...
Do what youve always wanted to do or can afford and enjoy it... if it were mine it would get a big block and shift on the floor. If you like the RR packages have at it, to me a nice clone is better than a real deal as you won't be as afraid of pounding on it...
If you're looking for a return on an investment find something else, remember not many people build cars and make a profit, the profit is in the purchase.
Post some pics !!!

It will alway be what it is it's why I asked. Clone for smiles sounds about right.

I have a 73 318/904, if I can stop the wife from spending my savings every year I'm going to rering, cam and home port. My goal is a daily rod. Won't be super fast with 318 in b-body, this is while I save for a complete 318 build or stroke. I already have the teen so why not just have fun with it. I just wanna drive it again, it's mine, I'm doing it for me and care less what anyone thinks and not for value

I have a 73 318/904, if I can stop the wife from spending my savings every year I'm going to rering, cam and home port. My goal is a daily rod. Won't be super fast with 318 in b-body, this is while I save for a complete 318 build or stroke. I already have the teen so why not just have fun with it. I just wanna drive it again, it's mine, I'm doing it for me and care less what anyone thinks and not for value

Heard that. Bought this for a song 14 yrs ago and now my boy can finally drive it.

Have some fun with it. People always bad mouth the Satellites, and yes, there isn't a lot of value in them, but I like them, and you hardly ever see one, everyone makes them into a clone, especially when you get into the 73/74 years. I think it would be cool to restore as a Satellite, give it a nice paint job, beef up the motor a bit, and have a nice driver to take out and cruise.

Have some fun with it. People always bad mouth the Satellites, and yes, there isn't a lot of value in them, but I like them, and you hardly ever see one, everyone makes them into a clone, especially when you get into the 73/74 years. I think it would be cool to restore as a Satellite, give it a nice paint job, beef up the motor a bit, and have a nice driver to take out and cruise.
Bad mouth Satellites, really! My next car is a Sport Satty Convertible and it will stay that way!

Hello everyone, I usually just read the posts but I'd like to make a suggestion on this one. Stroke it 4"! 390 cubic inches and you keep the block correct to the car. A real sleeper!

clones never bring the same money that the real deal does , if its a money thing . rock stock will be to everyones liking , clones are for the ones that don't care about the money they spend . how many people you know , that don't care how they spend your pay check . few n far between is my guess .

That would be nice.
Best I can get right now.

DSC00391.JPG DSC00392.JPG

When I bought mine it was marked up like a road runner. And I had thoughts early on of making it a GTX. But in the end I decided to keep it what it was, a Satellite. But a Satellite the way I want it to be. Bottom line, it's your car and you have to decide what you want it to do.

Hey my brother in law ordered 70 sat with 440 4speed with air and i think power windows for my sister to bring her on board . and his ins was a lot cheaper then RR .

Not a investment car
Do as you please

Auto Transport Service
Back