• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saved this old Craftsman round top grinder

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Nice lady inherited it from her dad (she was glad to see it go to someone who will use it), around a 150 miles from here on CL. She didn't know much about it but a friend of hers tested it and it runs down to the lamp. I had a buddy pick it up for me and deliver it and got it a few hours ago. It's a 60's vintage Craftsman with the cast iron stand, grinding wheel and a polishing wheel with safety glass and lamp. It's a 1/2 HP and can run on 120V or 240V. I got a kick out of the engraved brass nameplate, they don't build them like this any more. Takes forever to finally stop when you shut it down - bearings are in great shape. I'll clean her up and she'll be good for another 60 years. Some pics of her in her grimy glory:

snook

DSC_8385.JPG DSC_8386.JPG DSC_8388.JPG DSC_8390.JPG

Nice lady inherited it from her dad (she was glad to see it go to someone who will use it), around a 150 miles from here on CL. She didn't know much about it but a friend of hers tested it and it runs down to the lamp. I had a buddy pick it up for me and deliver it and got it a few hours ago. It's a 60's vintage Craftsman with the cast iron stand, grinding wheel and a polishing wheel with safety glass and lamp. It's a 1/2 HP and can run on 120V or 240V. I got a kick out of the engraved brass nameplate, they don't build them like this any more. Takes forever to finally stop when you shut it down - bearings are in great shape. I'll clean her up and she'll be good for another 60 years. Some pics of her in her grimy glory:

snook

View attachment 956508 View attachment 956509 View attachment 956510 View attachment 956511
Nothing beats the old Craftsman line of tools. Take care of that and it'll run forever

That’s a really nice piece. As said, that will last forever too.

I rememeber in metal shop (remember when schools had those) our milling machines,lathes,etc had tags from The War Department..WWll surplus.

Wow, I've got one of them, too.
I put that thing thru hell, all the time, out in the garage, and it keeps going and going.
Never any problem with it.
At the time, a friend was selling 5 used, old, bench grinders of various manufacturers and models,.
Said take your pick, any one, 25 bucks.
Picked that one, and glad that i did.
Been serving me well.

I have one just like that. I've put it through the paces over the years. Runs great.
I wish mine had the light.

LOL! reminds me of the one I inherited from my dad. It is a 1/2 horse model, but is has three times the power of my "1/2 horse" Home Depot (?) WorkHorse grinder...and yes it takes forever to "spool down" after your shut it off. Great grinder.

Auto Transport Service
Back