• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Say goodbye to raised white letters and redlines

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Airless tires are finally coming in 2024: Here's why you'll want a set

upload_2021-10-9_15-17-50.png

We have phones that can survive being immersed, watches you can drag over a cheese grater and screens you can fold without breaking, but a common nail can strand your car on the side of the road. Tires need to lose their air, but not that way.

This airless tires relies on flexible plastic vanes to achieve its compliance with varying road surfaces and driving dynamics.

AAPhmVY.jpg
©

This airless tires relies on flexible plastic vanes to achieve its compliance with varying road surfaces and driving dynamics.

Michelin is one of several tiremakers that have been developing airless tires but they seemed as improbable as GM's early vision of self-driving cars. Now, however, the two companies are putting a pin in the calendar to have airless tires on the market by 2024.

The first thing you notice about the airless Michelin Uptis, or Unique Puncture-proof Tire System tires is that you can see through them. Glass fiber reinforced plastic vanes support the tread rather than air pressure.

AAPhezK.jpg
© Provided by CNET These airless tires rely on flexible plastic vanes to achieve their compliance with varying road surfaces and driving dynamics. Michelin
From there, the benefits tumble forth: Nails become minor annoyances and sidewall cuts that usually render a tire unrepairable are no longer possible. There would be no need to check tire inflation (you've probably ignored my admonitions to do that anyway) and we'd say goodbye to spare tires, jacks and inflation kits that most drivers view as mysterious objects anyway. Blowouts that cause thousands of crashes a year would be impossible.

AAPhezQ.jpg
© Provided by CNET Big deal. Nails in an airless tire are virtually meaningless. Michelin
Uptis tires also have a green angle: The promise to scrap 200 million fewer tires worldwide each year by eliminating sidewall cuts and accelerated wear due to improper inflation. This environmental benefit will accrue regardless of which companies crack the code for airless tires.

Aspects I'll watch on the road to the airless tire include:

• What will these weigh? The increasingly electric car fleet doesn't need any more lard.
  • How do they drive? Driving purists will rend their vestments as they did over automatic transmissions and electric power steering, but the rest of us are open to better ride quality.
  • Are they quiet? Tire contact is the main cause of noise that emanates from freeways and inspires all those ugly sound walls.
  • Will these be compatible with today's wheels or just new ones designed for Uptis ?
  • Can existing auto safety systems like ABS and stability control work with Uptis tires?
  • What will they cost?
Airless tires will be an overdue leap forward. Today's pneumatic ones date back as far as combustion engine cars, and we know which way those are going.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...heres-why-youll-want-a-set/ar-AAPhh5W?ocid=se

Once those vanes get 1/2 plugged up with snow and ice ...... well let's say there will be some balance issues.

I need a set of those on my Bee NOT :BangHead:

No more telling the wife you had a flat tire that made you late. When you were popping you mistress.
I live real close to I-84 quiet tires. electric cars and trucks will make it quieter. Problem I won't live long enough. Motorcycles will still be noisy can hear some 2 to 3 miles away if they're going west bound.

I think they would flatten doing a burnout.

The first time those openings pick up something hard and sling it out into some unsuspecting persons head and kills them it will be all over.

I have to wonder how much they whistle.

I don't foresee these happening...not like that anyway. too dangerous. What happens when you have to panic swerve to miss something and the torsional forces split that thing away from the core...?

Let’s see, a company that relies on making tires to stay in business comes out with a new tires that is revolutionary. You can bet normal tires will still be available for a long time to come.

Once those vanes get 1/2 plugged up with snow and ice ...... well let's say there will be some balance issues.

That will soon be a thing of the past with Technology and the next big thing on the horizon, Heated Tires!

Last edited:
Didnt Firestone fail making Normal tires? I dont see these making it. The way people drive these days. They would tear apart. I bet.

My first thought... WINTER, part of it will be a block of ice. How will that handle? Flex is my second question, lots of corners at speed or panic maneuver? Will special mounting equpt be required? My road to the shop is more of an "off road", rocks, potholes, ect? I'm not buyin' it, not yet anyway.... Another thing came to mind, I've been in Nevada w 114 degree heat.... road surface...a gazillion degree maybe?

My first thought... WINTER, part of it will be a block of ice. How will that handle? Flex is my second question, lots of corners at speed or panic maneuver? Will special mounting equpt be required? My road to the shop is more of an "off road", rocks, potholes, ect? I'm not buyin' it, not yet anyway....
They way they flex they will be self cleaning so say.. I think they are fine for Agriculture use but not sold on highway use but at that price you won't see many people using them..

Yeah I can see these being useful driving on interstates/roads with slush and freezing slush like collects like a rock on fenders. What else ya have?

Auto Transport Service
Back