• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SB Swap

67Bbody

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what engine mounts I would use when swapping my 273 to an LA 360? I was under the impression they are different. 1967 didn't come with a 360. Thanks in advance!

I'm far from a small block person, but I think it would be a direct swap, small block to small block.

I believe the lh bracket is different, has an offset to deal with the cast mount bosses on the block. 340/360 use the same bracket. Maybe some modification can be done to yours? You may be able to re-use your accessory drives, crank pulley bolt pattern is different but you may be able to make that work. You do know that the 360 is externally balanced? Your convertor, if a/t, or flywheel, if m/t, is different due to the balance. Also the balancer cannot be swapped between 273 and 360 because of that. You can take care of the trans stuff easy enough. B&M makes/made a flex plate so you could use a non weighted easier sourced converter. Flywheel has to be switched if m/t. Also the 360 is all by itself on the oil pan so you can't use the 273 unit so it fits the car. If you change the pan, you will need the proper pickup screen and possibly have to change the dipstick and tube to match.

Left motor mount bracket is different. The 360 takes a different convertor than the 273. I found that out the hard way many years ago when shoed a 360 into a 65 Barracuda in place of the 273. And if the 360 is from a truck, the oil pan and pickup tube dont fit a car. And 273 pans dont fit a 360...

On the topside, you can't re-use the 273 intake. Just assuming you are going 4bbl. The bracket that the throttle cable and kick down units hook to will need to be modified or changed out entirely. AR Engineering has brackets you might be able to use. The kick down assembly may get interesting with the manifold and bracket change. May be just an adjustment. If not, Lokar has a cable unit to switch it out. What did the engine come out of year wise? If its a 92- magnum you have another bunch of stuff to deal with.

I just did this. The holes are different on the right side. Drill to match the new block. Space the drivers side as the distance between the ears is different. I may have had to drill a hole there as well. But I used the 273 brackets. Cant remember if I had to weld an additional tab for a bolt hole as it was last year. I dont think so.
Doug
20201009_185807.jpg

20201007_134351.jpg
Ok. Sounds like I have all the answers I need. Thanks. As far as the engine goes I had this thing internally balanced and I have the correct balancer and flexplate. I just need to find a neutral balanced stall converter now. I used a 273 timing tab and made new Mark's on the balancer because I need the older water pump with lower hose outlet on the drivers side. This thing has a/c and p/s so I'm sure I will have to figure out a pulley setup.

Thanks again for the insight guys!

I've done a couple of 318 to 360 swaps and just used washers to make up the difference on the left side mount bracket.....

I modified the stock kick down to work with the Magnu the rod extension was a piece of brass 1/4" pipe tapped internally. Used a piece or threaded rod to connect it to the original link, making it longer. Then a small tab to extend the cable ( my finger is holding it up).
Doug
20200323_171321.jpg
20200323_171300.jpg

Like Gunny Highway said, "improvise, overcome and adapt". Good think you went internal balance. Makes it easier for converter choices and swaps. If you can snag the needed pulleys and brackets off an existing engine it will make your life easier. You can see how they go on, get all the fasteners and spacers, pulleys and not have to tru and figure out their arrangement. From there its aftermarket companies.

Like Gunny Highway said, "improvise, overcome and adapt". Good think you went internal balance. Makes it easier for converter choices and swaps. If you can snag the needed pulleys and brackets off an existing engine it will make your life easier. You can see how they go on, get all the fasteners and spacers, pulleys and not have to tru and figure out their arrangement. From there its aftermarket companies.
Good deal! I have the complete engine setup to rob parts from. The 273 is still in the car and running

On the topside, you can't re-use the 273 intake. Just assuming you are going 4bbl. The bracket that the throttle cable and kick down units hook to will need to be modified or changed out entirely. AR Engineering has brackets you might be able to use. The kick down assembly may get interesting with the manifold and bracket change. May be just an adjustment. If not, Lokar has a cable unit to switch it out. What did the engine come out of year wise? If its a 92- magnum you have another bunch of stuff to deal with.
I have the lokar set up if I need it. The engine is a 79 la

B-BODY 273 mounts will work on a 360, on the pass side you have to drill 1 hole straight across from the pair of holes. on the drivers side you can get by with a washer stack of .370 around 4 thick washers. here is the 273-318 b-body style mounts you should have

be318 001.JPG be318 002.JPG be318 003.JPG

ok here is the passenger side mount with a pen going from a factory hole to the other side of the mount with the hole you should drill to bolt up to the block

340 001.JPG 340 002.JPG

ok here is the drivers side 273-318 wide mount and a 340-360 narrow mount showing you the exact amount needed to shim or make a spacer for as the 340-360 has a narrower boss spread

340 003.JPG 340 005.JPG 340 004.JPG

If you look on TTI's site, they give you a list of starters that will fit. Look in the footnote section for the header you are going to use.

The pulleys from the 273 should work on the 360. You will have to rat tail file one hole on the crank pulley. One of the holes is offset on the earlier stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back