• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scan Tool

pnora

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
I need a newer scan tool. One that is easy to operate and not to expensive. My older ones are not update-able so I need to do something. So what would be a good one to buy? Must be stand alone, no phone or computer types.

Last edited:
I have a BlueDriver that works with my smartphone. 100.- Doesn't get too deep - won't do ABS but it can reset airbag light. Updates are via the phone.

I have a BlueDriver that works with my smartphone. 100.- Doesn't get too deep - won't do ABS but it can reset airbag light. Updates are via the phone.
Thanks. I should of said stand alone. I do not want to have to use a phone or computer.

I've had this TopTak going on ten years. It will pinpoint most faulty components including which cylinder. Resets all codes and monitors real time running engine. Won't cycle ABS either. Most won't unless you spend big bucks. OBD-II
20220104_173212.jpg

Looks like the latest models...
https://romanceuniversity.org/reviews/toptak-code-scanner/

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. A point to remember.

And cheap scan tools will only read generic OBDII codes. Manufacturer/ brand/model specific codes can only be accessed with expensive tool or factory scanner.

How old are your older ones? What is the years it goes to?

And cheap scan tools will only read generic OBDII codes. Manufacturer/ brand/model specific codes can only be accessed with expensive tool or factory scanner.
So what would be a decent low end price wise one ?

So what would be a decent low end price wise one ?
I sold OTC, Launch, and Bosch. They have basic scanners in the few hundred dollar range.

I sold OTC, Launch, and Bosch. They have basic scanners in the few hundred dollar range.

Right but what gets me is how new are they software loaded. It is very confusing. I understand what a high end scanner will do along with their in depth abilities. I would like the ability to read 2017 and older codes, erase codes and see abs as well.

Right but what gets me is how new are they software loaded. It is very confusing. I understand what a high end scanner will do along with their in depth abilities. I would like the ability to read 2017 and older codes, erase codes and see abs as well.
Most scanners should be able to do that. Make sure it is abs capable. Like I said before, you probably won't be able to access manufacture specific trouble codes.

Most scanners should be able to do that. Make sure it is abs capable. Like I said before, you probably won't be able to access manufacture specific trouble codes.
What I dont get is these are newer scanners and when you look at their year ranges a lot go back to 2013 for their abilities.

Check out Innova. They have several models ranging from $50 to several hundred. I think I paid about $80 for mine and it does what you are looking for.

Ok, here is my opinion and might make you think.

Did you buy a service manual for the car you are working on? If so it was probably so you could fix it right? So why not buy a scan tool for that vehicle as well? I find the universal ones are usually lacking something, so I try and get one that can scan specific codes for the manufacturer of the specific car i am working on.

Example: I have an scanner for Audi/VW specific because I own a VW. It was $40 on Amazon. Sure it cannot do any car ever, but it gets me the very specific codes for the german craziness. Resetting elec parking brake pads, resetting airbag, etc.

This one also can act as a generic tool that gets basic codes for helping out friends. Its not great, but gets the basic ideas.

Just something to think about. Here is my tool: AmazonSmile: ANCEL VD500 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Diagnosis Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Brake Pad Reset Tool : Automotive

RGAZ

We are still in OBD ll. So any scanner should work from 1998 to now.
What I dont get is these are newer scanners and when you look at their year ranges a lot go back to 2013 for their abilities.

As others have mentioned, you get what you pay for. Some do this and that, other don't. My opinion is to first figure out what you want to spend, $30? $800? $4,000? Then what do you want the scanner to do? Read all codes? Reprogram? TPS resets? Reset things like oil change reminders? Operate the windows?

Then you can match your wants to your price. Do your homework, make notes, call manufacturers and ask them your questions. Lots of units out there. Lots of price ranges as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back