• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on a 65 Satallite

Daly

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
I just sold my 69 Coronet 500 with a 440. It was a driving project that I just didn't have time for anymore. I'm currently looking at three different classics, two muscle cars, and a 53 Ford Mainline. The muscle cars are a 1971 Chevelle SS clone with a built 454 and the other is the 65 Satallite mentioned in the title. I'm looking for info on the Satallite as I have owned more GM's over the years I'm quite familiar with the Chevelle.

That's the car. Is it a good deal,keep in mind this is a Canadian car with Canadian prices. Can you give me info on the 426 wedge, things to look for when I go see it and such. I'm not looking for anyone to convince me into buying a Mopar, I just want to have as much knowledge when I make the decision.

I can't get the ad to work but it's for sale at pentastic motors in Gorrie Ontario.
This is the one photo I have on the phone
ad_1499769021475.jpg

There's a video from the dealer.

Last edited:
Can you give me info on the 426 wedge, things to look for when I go see it and such.
Others probably know much more than I do...but...

Can tell you, the 426 wedge, for those days, was the biggest, and baddest, wedge motor in a Mopar. A torque motor, for it's time, before the 440 came out. IF the numbers on the car, say it was originally a 426 car...maybe...

Last edited:
Hi Daly,
Look carefully for rust! Check the cowl area (especially drivers side), bottom of cowl-up under dash, lower front fenders behind wheel openings, of course all floors, and lower rear quarters in trunk and below. Check around hood hinge mounting areas on inner fenders also.
In the photo the car looks good, BUT "Don't buy a pig in a poke"!
Mike

Thanks, the app wouldn't let me share the ad.

Just a few things I noticed from the video. Wrong valve covers, wrong air cleaner, wrong distributor, should be dual point, wrong fan, should have clutch with aluminum fan,missing right side exhaust heat shield.less than 1,000 1965 satelite's built with 426.

They have been trying to sell it for about a year. No one else would buy it over the past year that has to tell you something. Daly where in Ont. are you?

I'm in oil springs near Sarnia.

Thanks for the heads up. It's something to take into consideration.

car looks nice but i agree with streetweg, there is a lot that isnt "correct" about the car. but maybe that doesnt matter to you?

those seats and brackets would not be factory in a street wedge car. those A100 seats and brackets were for the lightweight hemi and max wedge cars im pretty sure. looks super clean though but obviously check for tons of bondo and rust (cowl, frame rails, etc, etc). if you get it please change that shifter on the floor, kills the car!

if it is a legit street wedge car id say its worth ~30 canadian for sure and if its been for sale for a year offer 25! My 64 is only a 383 not a 426 and this car makes me question my buy! if its solid, go for it!

I just sold my 69 Coronet 500 with a 440. It was a driving project that I just didn't have time for anymore. I'm currently looking at three different classics, two muscle cars, and a 53 Ford Mainline. The muscle cars are a 1971 Chevelle SS clone with a built 454 and the other is the 65 Satallite mentioned in the title. I'm looking for info on the Satallite as I have owned more GM's over the years I'm quite familiar with the Chevelle.

That's the car. Is it a good deal,keep in mind this is a Canadian car with Canadian prices. Can you give me info on the 426 wedge, things to look for when I go see it and such. I'm not looking for anyone to convince me into buying a Mopar, I just want to have as much knowledge when I make the decision.

I can't get the ad to work but it's for sale at pentastic motors in Gorrie Ontario.
This is the one photo I have on the phone
View attachment 445523

There's a video from the dealer.

I have seen that car in my neck of the woods ( London, Ontario)and it's really sweet. I'd dicker the price a bit as I'm sure you can get it for less. Both cars you mention are great looking vehicles. The GM is much cheaper to maintain, parts about half the price ( you surely know about "the Mopar tax" and it's tough as nails too. For a real looking muscle car I prefer the stance and look of the Chevelle and for years to come you'll be able to find any parts for that car bumper to bumper. Your choice friend, just my opinion at those prices.

Here's a couple of other things I saw... The braces on the underside of the hood have been cut off. This wasn't done for street wedge engines, but it was done on '64 Plymouth Max Wedge cars. That begs the question, "Why?" because there was no hood scoop added after the braces were removed. The ignition has been converted to an electronic ignition and the voltage regulator was converted to a constant voltage unit typically used for racing. I put that regulator on my street driven '64 Belvedere and it ruined the battery from over charging. It appears to have air shocks in the rear, which sometimes means weak rear springs, or the owner may have liked a raked look in the rear. The downside is that the rear cross member where the shocks mount was never intended to carry the weight of the car. I saw one in the shop that fatigued and the air shock went up and poked a hole in the trunk of the floor. Another pet peeve of mine is that the car has no spare tire or bumper jack.

Like the others have said look for signs of excessive body filler & other rust clues. As mentioned '65 was a transition year & many parts are one year only. They sure are one of my favorites (although I really like the sedan/post version). I had a '65 Coronet post car, original 426 street wedge, 4 spd car as my first drag car. Parts for them were more available in the '70's.

I just noticed it looks like the car use to have the springs relocated.

I see that it's missing it's wheel lip moldings (have fun finding those) and a 426 car should have the "Commando" fender badge which this one does not. It should also have 11" drum brakes and a sway bar upfront. A pic of the fender tag will help get down to the brass tacks. I have a 426 SW '65 Satellite so if there's anything I can help you with, let me know.

You can't tell by the pictures but another way to tell is a 426 street wedge car will have a front sway bar and factory welded rear exhaust hanger mounts on the body for both sides in the rear. The sway bar could have been removed but the exhaust mounts wouldnt be.

I'm not overly concerned if it's a factory 426 car. I'm more concerned of what to look at body wise and what to look at on the car in general.

I'm not overly concerned if it's a factory 426 car. I'm more concerned of what to look at body wise and what to look at on the car in general.
Daly
You are only about 30-40 minutes from me. If you want you can come and see the underside of my car. It has original floor pans and is on a hoist. It would be a good education on all the nooks and crannies where rust could be. Mine is far from a proper car as far as you purist go. It was a basket case and I'm not a purist mopar guy. Just a offer.

Auto Transport Service
Back