• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on AC systems and fittings

Hemirunner

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
i have the compressor as you can see in the serpentine thread. It’s a small sanden. My underdash unit is a Classic Auto Air street rod unit so it’s a little small. I need to source a drier, condenser, lines and one of those fancy billet bulkheads. How do I size the condenser and why do the bulkheads have AC fittings for the heater hoses?

Condenser, the biggest that will fit in front of your radiator. Yes, size matters!

Here we go......
Compressor has a low pressure and high pressure side. The big one is a 10 and the small one is an 8.
The 8 goes to the big fitting on the condenser, the smaller one on the condenser is a 6, that will go to the drier, other side of drier is a 6 also, that will go to your bulkhead and continue to your under dash unit to the 6 side. From there the 10 to you bulkhead and through to the compressor.

I too am gathering parts to add A/C to my originally non-A/C car. The biggest condenser that will fit seems to be the consensus. So what is my limit on size? I have measured in front of the radiator core opening on my ‘68 and I have clearance of 31”W x 17” H give or take. However the core face dimensions for my new 26” rad are 24.5”W x 17” H. Should I size the condenser based on max mounting room available as the airflow will pass over the condenser core as it mounts in front of the rad or is my max condenser size limited by my radiator core size?

Also remember that quoted condenser sizes generally list the condenser core size. If you look closely or call you can find out the overall size which includes the condenser body as well as the drier that hangs off of one side. I’m going to order one with a pre mounted drier from nostalgic air.

Size it to the core opening and go a bit bigger. Don’t go overboard, you need room for fittings/hoses.

why do the bulkheads have AC fittings for the heater hoses?
My guess is that it makes installation easier. The AN fittings make for a great connetion.

BTW...without wanting to hijack here - I have a 4-way bulkhead fitting in black - surplus to my install. Yours for $25 including postage from down this way.

20190310_181127.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back