• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on LA 318

Cornpatch MO

Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
from the late 60's. Were there 4 bbl factory intakes, and what carbs were used? Were they fairly common and what cars had them ?? How available are used aluminum intakes? .........................MO

School begins with the Pledge Of Allegiance. I'll wait here for you to complete it first.

from the late 60's. Were there 4 bbl factory intakes, and what carbs were used? Were they fairly common and what cars had them ?? How available are used aluminum intakes? .........................MO
Very limited 4bbl 318s. Try finding a 360 and slip it in that satty. I think you need different motor mount brackets. Little better performance potential but look stockish..

The LA 318 did not get a 4 barrel intake until 1974 or 75 in the Road Runner. It also had a 4 barrel in the Diplomat and Gran Fury M body police cars up to 1989.

Very limited 4bbl 318s. Try finding a 360 and slip it in that satty. I think you need different motor mount brackets. Little better performance potential but look stockish..
I'm going to keep the 318. Runs good. PO put in new gaskets and seals, and timing chain. No oil leaks. Good gas mileage. Lifter taps when it sits for a while, and I will replace with new lifters...so, a good time to change intakes, and I won't buy new.
Got the crop out yet? my beans are in the bin..............................MO

I'm going to keep the 318. Runs good. PO put in new gaskets and seals, and timing chain. No oil leaks. Good gas mileage. Lifter taps when it sits for a while, and I will replace with new lifters...so, a good time to change intakes, and I won't buy new.
Got the crop out yet? my beans are in the bin..............................MO
Beans done. Taking corn out this week. Lousy crop this year. Try again next year i guess...

Aluminum intakes are everywhere & reasonably inexpensive. Go to FABO.

The easiest way to do a 4bbl. on a 318 is with an Edelbrock Performer. There is also the square bore LD4B or the spreadbore Weiand Action Plus that would work well. There is no OEM port sized 4bbl. intake for this engine. The factory used spreadbore 360 intakes for this chore.

Carb use;
A 600 cfm unit is plenty.
The OE/Edelbrock AFB/AVS are easy to find. Use a thick carb to intake gasket for heat insulation purposes. Fuel can boil easy.
An early small primary TQ is also very good for use. There is an electric choke version available with and without a Mopar throttle arm.
Also use a thick carb gasket here.
The only draw back is tuning parts.
I bend AFB metering rods 3/4 of an inch shorter, rebend at the top and clip.

Kickdown linkage has s not the same as a 2bbl. You can fiddle with it and get it to work. I normally use a Lokar set up. Easy to use.

The LA 318 is the most underrated small block ever.
Cheap, dependable, and huge performance potential.
School is over.

Jeff

Beans done. Taking corn out this week. Lousy crop this year. Try again next year i guess...
You must have been in the dry belt that goes down into Ringold and Decatur counties. We got all their rain , as beans have been best I ever had, and corn looks to be very good. To bad prices SUCK ! ........................MO

Aluminum intakes are everywhere & reasonably inexpensive. Go to FABO.

The easiest way to do a 4bbl. on a 318 is with an Edelbrock Performer. There is also the square bore LD4B or the spreadbore Weiand Action Plus that would work well. There is no OEM port sized 4bbl. intake for this engine. The factory used spreadbore 360 intakes for this chore.

Carb use;
A 600 cfm unit is plenty.
The OE/Edelbrock AFB/AVS are easy to find. Use a thick carb to intake gasket for heat insulation purposes. Fuel can boil easy.
An early small primary TQ is also very good for use. There is an electric choke version available with and without a Mopar throttle arm.
Also use a thick carb gasket here.
The only draw back is tuning parts.
I bend AFB metering rods 3/4 of an inch shorter, rebend at the top and clip.

Kickdown linkage has s not the same as a 2bbl. You can fiddle with it and get it to work. I normally use a Lokar set up. Easy to use.
That's great info --you get an" A" for good teacher............................MO

The LA 318 is the most underrated small block ever.
Cheap, dependable, and huge performance potential.
School is over.

Jeff
I learned your lesson here , a long time ago. We have had several 318 engined cars, including my son's 66 Dodge that we took the Poly out of ( burning oil) and put in a LA 318. Other than that, the only 318LA I ever worked on, was stuck in snow--I way over revved it and bent a valve. All were B bodys and got 19 mpg with air conditioning. All had plenty of power for everyday driving.............................MO

You must have been in the dry belt that goes down into Ringold and Decatur counties. We got all their rain , as beans have been best I ever had, and corn looks to be very good. To bad prices SUCK ! ........................MO
Yep. Dry up thru Union and Clarke county. Ins adjuster was getting samples as low as 7 bu/ac on corn at silage time. Best he saw was 185 on a small bottom piece. Most were 70-100 bu on 150-200 aph ground.

Cruising in our 69 satellite with the 318 was nice. Not powerful but didnt stop at every pump either!

Taking beans out before corn is just backwards. But this is Missouri. Other than mold in flooded bottom ground areas I have heard no complaints here other than prices.

How much power do you want? 318 with just a 4 barrel, proper cam, and headers will run OK, Probably around 300hp. The stock 318 cam is Very small. Need more power? Start with a 360. Cores are cheap vs gain in HP when you're looking at more power. A late model stock junkyard 360 with the same parts will make well over 400hp. All the 318 parts (brackets, pulleys, trans, etc) will bolt on except modifying the drivers side motor mount and correct flex plate.
Doug

That's great info --you get an" A" for good teacher............................MO
Thanks and anytime, just ask. I have allways done small blocks. I come from near no money builds. That means big blocks were out for me. 318's & 360's were in.

Auto Transport Service
Back