• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on OEM radiator caps.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
I had in my mind that the correct radiator cap for a 66 (Hemi if it matters) was a small, dimpled rivet cap). I orderend a replacement for my 66 from Year One last December to replaced the cracked, dimpled rivet cap. It was back ordered and just arrived a few days ago - months after I bought a small, dimpled rivet 16# replacement months ago elsewhere. What arrived from Year One is an AMK 14# zinc finished large domed rivet cap. the box is marked 70 and up by Year One but the AMK website says 60 - 66 with zinc finish OEM. See top cap in the following:

Chrysler Radiator Caps

I found some references saying both were used in 66 but in hindsight, I don’t think a 14# cap would be correct for 1966 (but could be wrong).

So which, or both, are correct? Is a zinc finish generally correct?

I know - sort of a silly thing to obsess over for something that’s not a show poodle.

1655323564864.png
1655323625898.png

But it’s hot and I’m bored indoors.

FSM says 14 psi cap for non-AC cars and 16 psi cap for cars with AC - so that may explain why both show up in the same year.

My 66 Sat 4sp non a/c is zinc #16

Auto Transport Service
Back