• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on torsion bars

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I saw something the other day that piqued my interest. I had never heard this before, so I bring it to the braintrust.

I saw an ad for mopar torsion bars. The ad stated...I believe..that the seller had a pair of torsion bars for a 318.

My question is, knowing that engines have different weights, do torsion bars need to match the engine due to weight or some other physical reason ?

Color me curious...

good question , I have never had a problem with torsion bars in a 318 car that I put a 440 into.

Torsion bars are... SPRINGS... so to speak. They have different sizes/rates for particular applications. You can have 6-cyl bars in a hemi car with applicable shocks to obtain the weight transfer, if you so choose. Basically, you can have any torsion bar you want, depends on what your preferences are, mainly soft/hard ride for street use.

5581EEAA-E123-4120-950D-EA2EDC86144D.png

I just want to second reading Andy Finkbeiner's "Torsion Bar Tango" article as recommended by moes above. This article gives a great introduction to torsion bars and their operation. Cheers!

I suspect your small block torsion bars will handle a big block but will have a bit more springy front end vs running the heavier big block bars designed to carry the added weight.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy use t bars myself , unless that you know they were put in the proper way / side
I bough mine direct at my local dodge dealer, so cheap . I looked pop number on summit P something and then they sold them to me , same day they stock them at thew depot , even my leaks I got through them
ha on 50 plus year old car!

Auto Transport Service
Back