• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored a running 69 440 and 4 speed last night

YY1

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
Running, driving 1980 D150 step side.

Pics to follow, as it was dark when I got it home.

Was slant and manual on the floor.

Cab is shot but bed is almost perfect.

Has turbine style wheels and came with Red Express stack shields and tailgate wood.

$800. Sat on CL for two months.

Had to jack up motor and install starter in sellers driveway to get running.

...and now for the tech question.

Could this be an O/D trans, and original to the truck?

The case looks like it might be aluminum.

It has B/E body shifter mount locations with an adapter that puts the shifter an inch up and an inch ahead of the rear mount.

Sound like a truck trans? Useable in B body?

Shift pattern on knob shows reverse extreme right and down, but it's really extreme left and up.

O/D?

The knob is off an NP435(granny tranny), if it is an aluminum case that has external levers, its an O/D trans (if actually a 4 speed). The slant trucks came with the O/D, I believe always in those years. As for interchange, ask Jamie Passon, or Brewers.

From what i can remember about the o/d transmission, The case is aluminum, the tail shaft housing has 2 shifter positions available but the rear most place is usually not drilled and tapped, the o/d gear position is where the 3rd gear would be on the non o/d A883. Most folks reverse the shift lever rods so that the o/d position is where 4th gear would be an a regular 4 speed. This can get confusing because all the guts from a o/d trans will interchange into the cast iron case and visa versa. There are a few different front bearing retainers as well as bell housings that have a different hole diameter to accept the retainer. I don't see any problem with the o/d as long as you don't over power your engine. The thing to remember is the o/d gear inside the transmission in in the same place as 3rd gear is in the regular 4 speed so when you are in o/d gear you are transferring power through the entire gear set as opposed to the 4 speed that is transferring power strait through the imput shaft to the output shaft.

Went home for lunch and snapped some pics.

Score another one for craigslist.

Looks like a .010 over and .001 under motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20131029_102535.jpg
    IMG_20131029_102535.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20131029_102502.jpg
    IMG_20131029_102502.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20131029_103215.jpg
    IMG_20131029_103215.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20131027_150029.jpg
    IMG_20131027_150029.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20131029_103526.jpg
    IMG_20131029_103526.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20131029_104404.jpg
    IMG_20131029_104404.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 303
great score regardless of what type of trans it has!!!

nice score YY1
:hello2:

Cool find, should be a fun toy

YY1 cool find, great deal.... Maybe post it up over on www.ForTrucksOnly.com , another of Joeys sites/forums, help build some interest there too, it's a little slow over there, but some interesting stuff & good members too, a few guys from here occasionally....

Well, it isn't "driving" any more.

I got it to idle at less than 1000 RPM, and took it around the block a few times to get it good and hot and make sure 3rd and 4th worked. Had good oil pressure, didn't run hot, 3rd and 4th are fine. Still needs tuning...but...

Making a right turn the steering kind of hung up.

I was able to muscle through it, but about 5 turns later it hung and wouldn't come back.

After looking at stuff and trying one more time...now the wheel (and shaft) spins all the way around, but the pittman arm is locked tight.

Good thing I didn't try driving it to work.

Nice score on the truck. Not too crazy about the color or wheels, but I like that body style. Once you get the steering figured out check out the brakes real good too. I'm thinking red paint with Cragar SS wheels, but I'm old school. Make a nice shop truck.

Cool trunk YY1 and you get to row the gear too. Bonus! You'll fix whatever went wrong and have a hell of a good time with it I'm sure.

I have some body parts for trucks like that I've been intending to advertise somewhere but doesn't look like you need any! WTG!

Auto Transport Service
Back