• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored a "virgin" thermoquad at the U pull, now what?

YY1

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Scored a "virgin" thermoquad at the U pull, now what?

It was on a Winabago.

I ran the number- 9036, and got 75-78 440, 1 1/2 primary bores, CA emmisions

It has no wires like what I normally associate with emmisions carbs.

What's the diff?

Is it true that all Mopar spec TQs are either 800 or 850 CFM (Based on primary bore size)?

It's kinda dusty, and looks like it wasn't sealed too good to the intake.

It did still appear to have EVERYHINF hooked up like it came from the factory.

It was $29.

I'm gonna try it on my practice Charger. The last swapmeet Eddy I bought, bolted on and ran.

- - - Updated - - -

They said $199 for the "long block" minus the alt and intake/carb, and $19 for the electronic dist.

I would have got that dist, but they were closing.

Post a pic of it from the front. 1 3/8 primaries is an 800 1 1/2 is an 850. It should be an 850.

Sorry to hijack but...would one of these two be better than the other?? they both have 1.5" primary. I never knew they were 850 cfm. thanks

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0443.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0443.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG0444.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0444.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 392
Throw the bottom one in the ditch. Save the center section though.

Agreed - use the top model.

YY1 - I would disassemble and clean it and install new gaskets. A basic bench rebuild. There is plenty of diagrams and info on the Tquad out there online if you get lost.

If you have a pretty stock engine producing good vacuum it should work fine. I have one I'm itchin' to try on something. The plastic bowl may be the answer to keep this crappy ethanol spiked gas cool enough so it doesn't evaporate as fast (hence the name).

The bottom one is best used for stock to very mild modded engines. That gizmo on the upper front is to adjust the fuel mix for altitude. Very handy item on the dead sticker that actually travels around.

Save it complete and cover it.

I also found a 360 with a wet TQ on it at a diffrent yard. Unmolested R body 5th Ave (how often do you see those?) Maybe I'll go back and get that too.

TQ's are like the plague in the 70's up to the mid 80's MoPars. The early ones are the ones you want for performance. Anytime I can score one cheaply I do just for the rods and jets within. There a good carb that just needs to be set up properly and it's a psi. To get right, but on e properly set up and working properly, there a scream to use.

Finding a jet and rod tuning kit is hard and pricey.
You can bend AFB rods 3/4 inch shorter for TQ use. Keep that in mind.
Secondary jets can be drilled larger. But once done, you can go back to smaller. Keep that in mind as well.

If you are looking for info on how to rebuild a ThermoQuad, go here:

Rebuilding A Carter ThermoQuad Carburetor

On the bottom of the page is a link that says See all 14 Photos. Click it to view some details. Photo Number 7 is very important as the buckets under the main wells are bonded onto the phenolic body. Make sure the bonding agent hasn't failed.

Hope this helps.

Auto Transport Service
Back