• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seaking a previous owner of your car. What would you do?

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
My car is a 69 Coronet RT Hemi 4sp. I bought it in 1980 from a guy in LA. (not the previous owner).
Today I came across a Ca. registration document with the name of the last owner of the car.
I did a quick internet search for his name and am sure I found him by that search.
He comes up as being 97 years old and relatives names are listed.

So --he was 59 years old at the time he was the last registered owner of the car before I bought it.
My question is about reaching out for details from our cars past.--How far is the reach too far?
My thought is I should not intrude on complete strangers for something as silly as a car's history.
Here is a current pic of the license plate that this guy ordered for the car.

IMG_0436 (Large).JPG IMG_0097 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
I would give him a call and go from there.

My uncle bought my Coronet new, so I know the history, but I don't know the history of my Firebird. If I found info about it, I would at least write a letter.

I would give him a call and go from there.

For me, it would be a push through contacting relatives that I have no contact numbers for. That is a part of my question.
I know his name. I know the car.---What more can I expect?

What's the worse that can happen? Give him a call. I've heard of people contacting previous owners and they found some amazing stories and maybe even some paperwork or spare parts.

Good luck!

I tried to buy a car that was Identical to that one in 86/87 only difference was the wheels it had alum slots couldn't come up with the money $3000 dollars It was in Va. I know there weren't many made in that combination like 30 of them .

3 years ago I went to the original owner's house to see if he still lived there. Saw his name on the mailbox and stopped in, was driving the Satellite. Had a nice talk with him and his wife. Asked if he had any paper work from when he bought the Satellite. He fishes out a folder and had all the paper work and original window sticker. Only thing I didn't get was the certacard, had it near kitchen, lost in fire. So you never know, might make his day.
wqy.JPG

Last edited:
I reached out to a previous owner last year. He was awesome! Told me car history, steering issues and what he did to try to fix. Then, send me a box of stuff he had left from the car! I paid shipping.

I wouldn’t hesitate, You never know until you ask.

I tried to buy a car that was Identical to that one in 86/87 only difference was the wheels it had alum slots couldn't come up with the money $3000 dollars It was in Va. I know there weren't many made in that combination like 30 of them .

Thanks --I heard rumors of several cars like this being made as a kind of promotion?--Triple green and loaded.
An ad in Hemmings got my attention in the 80s. It was almost exactly like my car. (could never find that old ad.)

Mine has electric windows, rear defrost and 6way manual driver's seat.

Hmm --was there a short run of these from dodge to put in showrooms?

I hunted down the original owner of my car and I’m glad I did.

If he’s 97, you better decide quickly. You may not get many chances.

This car wasn't loaded like that I do remember he had the car in germany when he was in the Military he did not drive it anymore i watched that car for a few years before he decided to sell it .

I ran into this situation with two cars and I never regret reaching out. Both cases the previous owner/relatives loved talking about the car and their history in relation to the cars...

Well if somebody ever called me, I’d love to talk about mine. It won’t happen because the grandkids are penciled in for mine. BUT, I LOVE talking with guys about all the memories of years gone by! I’ve had cops stop me just to talk when they see mine; a little of “what did I do?” and then the reminiscing starts!

I have tracked down several 1st and 2nd owners of my cars over the years. They ALL were happy I contacted them.

my car was purchased about 20 miles from me....... I have a copy of the original receipt, he traded in a 67 Galaxy. Always meant to look him up

3 years ago I went to the original owner's house to see if he still lived there. Saw his name on the mailbox and stopped in, was driving the Satellite. Had a nice talk with him and his wife. Asked if he had any paper work from when he bought the Satellite. He fishes out a folder and had all the paper work and original window sticker. Only thing I didn't get was the certacard, had it near kitchen, lost in fire. So you never know, might make his day.View attachment 586099
Your ride Fran has some very nice options.....Never realized that until you posted this....

I would contact them and would have no problem with it, All they can do is tell you to f---off! and you really don't know them so who cares.
that's my 2 cents
Be prepared they will probably talk to you for hours.

Auto Transport Service
Back