• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealant

kinghs95

Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
I’m putting on oil and water pump and was wondering what you guys use for sealant and also do I need to use thread locker on any bolts for those or a thread sealer? Also do I need to pack oil pump with petroleum jelly or anything or should it be okay

You’ll get a ton of answers. I use non hardening Permatex on just about everything, skim coat. I typically don’t use thread locker on those types of bolts. And I’ve never jelly packed a pump. Never had an issue getting prime.

I replaced my cam a few years ago. I have CRS, but pretty sure I did not use any sealer. Definitely no thread locker and have never packed a WP.

I’m putting on oil and water pump and was wondering what you guys use for sealant - For those, no sealant

do I need to use thread locker on any bolts for those or a thread sealer? - No

do I need to pack oil pump with petroleum jelly or anything...?. - No

My 440 had a couple water pump bolts that went to coolant and needed thread sealer.

I typically use a little copper anti seize on my water pump bolts or anywhere two dissimilar metals contact each other.
Of the oil pumps I've installed on other brands I usually wipe down the rotor and case with a light coat of lubriplate.

Here we go again, what engine do you have? SB? BB? slant 6? 2.2L 354 hemi?

How do you guys know how to answer any water pump questions without knowing what engine he has?

Oil pump, put a little oil in there so it’s not dry, like a teaspoon. Are you going to prime it with a drill?

There is no reason to pack a new oil pump full of anything.

Here we go again, what engine do you have? SB? BB? slant 6? 2.2L 354 hemi?

How do you guys know how to answer any water pump questions without knowing what engine he has?

Oil pump, put a little oil in there so it’s not dry, like a teaspoon. Are you going to prime it with a drill?

There is no reason to pack a new oil pump full of anything.
I'm guessing like everyone else that the probability is that it is a LA/B or RB...just a guess though.

Members turned me on to the Permatex for waterpumps. It's been holding up real good :thumbsup:

Good point. I wasn't thinking the thermostat housing for "waterpump".

I use a different sealant than what's in the link you posted, but use the same method: sand the t-housing flat (full sheet of 180-220 grit W&D sandpaper on a flat surface), apply sealant, lightly snug the housing down, then snug it down a little more later. My unscientific observation is that even with everything flat, over tightening will cause it to leak.

Auto Transport Service
Back