• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealing rear window trim?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
I have a leak into the trunk of my 65 Coronet sedan. I had the window professionally removed and replaced to allow me to convert rust forming in the depression below the window, under the trim. I used POR15 and top coated with body color. I didn't think the situation through at the time (last fall) or I would have researched solutions then. Does anyone have a proven method for waterproofing this area so water cant enter the trunk? I did seal the screw threads at the time but, that is a crutch. Would spray can foam be a solution? The factory installed foam doesn't seem to do anything for sealing.
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
Ideas?
Mike

Good, or bad, after dealing with any rust at the bottom, I masked off, and used rattle can rubber undercoating on mine. Just a thin coat. Then, a coat of body paint. All hidden once the trim is in place.
It impressed me, under my 64, where ever undercoating was, good clean metal under it. So, figured why not?

Its hidden by trim so I would be VERY generous with brush on seam sealer.

Auto Transport Service
Back