• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seam sealer - where to install

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
We are getting the final blocking done on my 69 Charger project and will be needing to get the seam sealer put on soon. Aside from the obvious areas in the trunk and floor pans, where else should it be on these cars? Interior flanges on the door skins, the front lips of the quarter panels in the door jamb area, engine compartment between firewall and inner fenders, trunk rails on every joint? Not sure if any of these spots should get it or not, or other areas?

Pay attention to where it was is my two cents. When I get cars in to Media Blast, I hand remove all seam sealers, usually it's all rotted and crappy under the seam sealers. I just applied Seam Sealer on a 66 Mustang I'm wrapping up. Just imagine water in your cabin, where would it go, where would it want to go and hide? Apply there. Also, apply underside to areas on bottom of car, but, if you don't have your car on a Rotisserie, you're facing an arduous task!

Not able to list all areas but if you have a 69 Charger shop manual, it should list all seams where seam sealer is used. You can find that info in the body section. Be sure to remove all old sealer first as it will make your efforts (in time) less than your best work. One area that I see often forgotten about on many cars that I see at shows is the roof drip rail. Here again, it is absolutely impossible to maintain a perfect seal if all the old stuff isn't removed first.

Auto Transport Service
Back