• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sears 33 gallon compressor

scotts74birds

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
So while I was typing my answer to another post, my compressor came on. Well, I think it threw a rod! That was the sound it made! Even the wife came in to see WTF! Anyone have any experience with this turd? Shame that the Craftsman brand is not what it was.

I use to build houses. Always needed a good size compressor for all the nail guns. Made the mistake of buying a Crappsman when it was on sale. Definately made for the homeowner that uses it on weekends only.

I have an old craftsmen 5 hp 220v 33 gal compressor that I bought around 1994?
It has an oil sump. This is my home compressor not my shop compressor.
It still runs good. I recommended a craftsman to a friend of mine on this experience.
The ones they have now are oil less air cooled?
Junk. It lasted him two months. The ring and cylinder is trashed.
Sad when I got into cars craftsmen tools were not the best but they worked. In my opinion they are all junk now. Anyone try a craftsmen wratchet lately? What a joke.

My craftsman compressor is oil less and the sound it makes is unreal!! I need to sell for 40 bucks, cause the tank is the only good thing they make, and get me 60 gallon 220 air compressor. Did I mention I dont like mine, it's no wonder I use hand tools 99.9% of the time to work on the cars.

Damn shame...

ya crappsman WAS decent; the hand tools and my mini Craftsman jack did what little i asked of them. (not a pro by any means, lol)

till i bought a 4 ton floor lo-profile jack 3-4 years back...lifted the front of the GTX fine (it's first time out of the box)...then lifted her by the pumpkin, freakin Niagara Falls ensued (second time out of the box).

short story longer, i bought the POS on sale, and didn't get to use it till after the return/policy expired. took it back, and the mgr said :icon_fU: (basically, in a PC manner)

should have left it on the floor in front him...anyways, so i take it back home, and it's waiting for me to put new seals in it.

GIANT F*CKIN' BOAT ANCHOR!!!

so, i've been using my 15-year old Craftsman 2.5 ton little guy to lift the Plymouth...and it asks for more

Intresting commentary... I still have my crafts floor jack from like the 70's. Still works!! Agreed the new stuff is crap!

I've turned craftsman sockets into daisy's in the past....Their ratchets...well, lets just say now a days a cheapo at Harbor Freight runs in the same league. Even a cast butter craftsman wrench set I got for christmas one year had half of them end up in the garbage can due to them spreading. Not a huge fan of busted knuckles or punching myself in the face so I stick with Snap On..As far as their power tools....I don't have any in the garage and for good reason.

I can't say enough good things about Craftsman quality, because there's nothing good to say.

The first tool I bought in my life (in the 70's) was a 1/2 - 9/16 Craftsman flare nut wrench. It's broken now, along with a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive ratchets, none of which can be replaced under their fabulous guarantee, because they just don't have those items for sale any more in Canada. Okay, the ratchets are in the online catalogue, with a "NOT AVAILABLE" note next to them.

About all the sales manager could do was offer appologies for the way the company was being managed.

My 28 year old Craftsman compressor, however is still running beautifully.
-=Photon=-

I hate to admit how bad Craftsman tools seem to be anymore but i have to many broken wrenches and especially sockets that ive threw in the junk can, I do have two broken Craftsman breaker bars that im going to get replaced, If they still replace them free.. My kid seems to like Great Neck tools he buys at Auto-Zone, Honestly i know nothing of them but i do have a 3/8 socket set of metric thats still in one piece after a long time,,, I do think Snap On about the best, IMO.

Turns out, the fan on the motor came loose! The fan is "offset" mounted on the piston rod. The plastic fan came apart making a hell of a racket! Its sad that a once-great brand has gotten this bad. I have been watching the Sears thing in the financial papers, and they have been leveraging, and compromising on everything. My only hope is that they sell the Craftsman brand before they totally destroy it!

I was almost happy when my Crapsman finally bit the dust. It was nice because it was portable. But now I have a 80 gallon stationary compressor. I would rather string together several airlines(if needed) They are not what they used to be. Guess they have to use cheaper materials today so they can compete with the Chinese made tools.

Auto Transport Service
Back