• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seasonal luck on eBay?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I have a handful of left over parts I am trying to get rid of from my restoration. I posted most of it on FBBO a few months ago, but still no bites on some of it. So I'm ready to post these on eBay. My question is - any of you have an opinion on good and bad times of year to sell on eBay? I guess the times when people are looking for something specific is fairly unpredictable, but in general do most of you look for parts during the holidays or would I be better off waiting to post these items in late jan or February? I only ask because eBay charges the seller whether you sell the item or not...

I would sell them during tax season. It's only two months away. IMHO, people buy less for themselves (although I like to cheat sometimes) then for others during the holidays. Not to mention travel expenses. I think for many, tax money is more discretionary. All of my selling on eBay has been between February and July, and I've had good success.

ebag sux for sellers, why waste your good earned money on those numb nuts? Just keep bumping your old post back up with updates of what sold or not or any price changes and sooner or later some one will see it, honestly just ran into this as a buyer! lol Just ask paladin06 lol He had parts for sale from looks like originally October? just saw the post day or so ago and bought so I think my advice would be just keep trying here or another site specific to your car some times we don't get around to even seeing the posts. Saying bump in a reply puts your post back on top of the recent post list where I know i go first "today's posts" to look for what's happening around town. Good luck

I would think in the warmer months (May - Sept) cars and parts would sell a lot better. In half the country most of these cars are garaged this time of year. When they are out on the road is when people really get excited about working on them and buying parts.

when I am looking for parts and with some 30 cars in the stable at any given time...I am always looking for stuff and I buy regardless of time of year if the needed part is listed and reasonably fairly priced..E-bay is just another avenue of shopping..convenient for sure but still no substitute for beating the bushes and swap meets, the thrill is gone so to speak..but yeah...I say list anytime...if you looking for a windfall...you may not get it..if looking to move the items for fair price...odds are they will sell...but as always...its a crap shoot..what sold good last month may sit stagnant for the next 12 months..

I have a handful of left over parts I am trying to get rid of from my restoration. I posted most of it on FBBO a few months ago, but still no bites on some of it. So I'm ready to post these on eBay. My question is - any of you have an opinion on good and bad times of year to sell on eBay? I guess the times when people are looking for something specific is fairly unpredictable, but in general do most of you look for parts during the holidays or would I be better off waiting to post these items in late jan or February? I only ask because eBay charges the seller whether you sell the item or not...

I'm Not a big fan of E-Scam either, been screwed too many times, misrepresented parts... people way overpricing mostly rusty old crap it seem, when I'm looking for anything...LOL... anyways... But I'm the type, that also looks for parts year round, unfortunately or rarely anyone ever has what I need &/or even want ever thou, or it's priced like, it's worth it's weight in gold, instead of rust... I've also even been known to look on holidays in the early mornings & evenings, after things settle down or before everyone's up while drinking my morning cup/pot of Joe... I personally think any time of year can be good, but after the holidays would possibly be better, there's allot of people hurting or out of work & the holidays can really stress the bank account & wallets, for allot of us poor working folks, in a crappy economy... I think if someone needs it, then it doesn't really matter what time of year it is, you try to sell... the old adage is an a$$ for every seat, a buyer somewhere for every part... good luck with your parts sales

this time of year you can get some decent deals sometimes too, interest has waivered some, different priorities for many folks, you might try a little slightly lower asking price... unless you really firm on the prices or maybe offer to help with shipping costs... just an idea

just out of curiosity what is it your selling ?? or trying to sell...

Well I guess my experiences have been different, I've had almost nothing but good luck. One seller sold me a wheel that was in "great shape" but turned out to be severely curbed, I got a refund. I even had a buddy that bought a hydroplane boat that ended up sinking do to some shotty repairs that weren't mentioned on the listing "Ebay paid for the boat". Sorry back on topic, I think people are always building cars regardless of the time of year but would think tax season as mentioned would be the best time, I'm currently trying to sell and buy the remaining parts for my build and only care about one thing "driving it this Spring". I recently started selling stuff on here (sick of the wait period with paypal and Ebay) and really like dealing with the fello mopar fanatics "really easy to do business with".

I've never noticed a good or bad time of the year for selling on ebay. I do agree the fees are not seller friendly though. But you will get a pile more exposure than by just posting on the couple of boards that you frequent.

I would wait until after the holidays....all my sales have basically stopped since after October....I did pretty good in the spring, summer, & fall....but the winter months people are spending for Christmas and heating bills

I buy and sell on ebay year around, but they really screw you on the fees as a seller and make u have to use there paypal system (more fees) I look first here if Im needing something and have found some stuff ocassionaly but e-bay generaly has much more all the time. Just depends on what your selling or needing.

I also buy on ebay year round and haven't noticed any particular time of year better or worse for buying/selling anything. I do say that I ALWAYS look here, some of the other forums I belong to and craigslist first. Ebay is usually accidental finds for car parts for me unless it is something being repopped.

Auto Transport Service
Back