• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Belt - Shoulder Belt mount

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Another member mentioned updating seat belts in another thread and it reminded me of a couple questions I've had for a while. I want to upgrade seatbelts in my '68 that currently only has the factory lap belts - and no head rests.
Do the '68s have the mounts under the headliner like cars with shoulder belts or not?
Any suggestions on seatbelts if my car doesn't have the mounts?
Do my seats have openings to mount factory headrests?
Thanks guys!

If you feel along the headliner just in front of the coat hook you will feel the threaded hole for the shoulder belt anchor

Yes they should, my 68 does. On a post car they are directly above the post. .

Thanks guys! yes, my RR has the mount/threaded hole. Just FYI, my car has a November 1967 build, so yes, it's present in an early/mid production year.
Anybody else have an idea on the headrest mounts?

From what I recall, and I may be wrong. Headrests were standard in 70 and options before then. My seat has no provisions for headrests posts. If you run your hand along the top of the seat back with some pressure, you might feel 2 holes beneath the padding. Kinda like you did to find the seatbelt holes through the headliner. Good luck !

My 68 Charger did not have the headrests in the seats or the shoulder harness belts. However, the mounting hardware for them was present. Head rests were optional in 68 as well as the shoulder belts so you should be able to add them.

My 68 Charger did not have the headrests in the seats or the shoulder harness belts. However, the mounting hardware for them was present. Head rests were optional in 68 as well as the shoulder belts so you should be able to add them.
where did the shoulder belt connect to on the passenger,did you need a special lap belt?

69 Coronet R/T has the headrests w/chrome strip just like the 70's.

Had to dig out this thread as I am currently in the same process.

Removed the old headliner to see if there is a threaded hole for the shoulder harness but nothing.. Only the hooks for the headliner bow and one empty hole where you can see the roof beneath.

It is a 68 Coronet with bench seat.

Only have lap belts atm and would like to install a 3 point harness.

Had to dig out this thread as I am currently in the same process.

Removed the old headliner to see if there is a threaded hole for the shoulder harness but nothing.. Only the hooks for the headliner bow and one empty hole where you can see the roof beneath.

It is a 68 Coronet with bench seat.

Only have lap belts atm and would like to install a 3 point harness.
That's crazy, I wonder whay dictated what cars got shoulder harness or not ? My 68 coronet, bench seat car was factory with shoulder harness. My buddy's 68 satellite doesn't even have the threaded bung in the roof !

My 68 charger has the shoulder hardware but I a missing shoulder seat belt. Can someone post a picture of them mounted in the car. Trying to decide if I should purchase them.

My 68 charger has the shoulder hardware but I a missing shoulder seat belt. Can someone post a picture of them mounted in the car. Trying to decide if I should purchase them.
Did you ever het the answers you were looking for? I have a 68 Charger and 3-point belts ready to install. I need a couple things. I don't think the shoulder belt provision is in my roof. Also The new floor pan/rockers do not have the outer anchor point. I need the measurements to add it

IMG_1623.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back