• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat upholstery blues!

chargervert

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
I was installing a set of Legendary seat covers for my friends 70 V code GTX, and it took me over three hours to get the bottom of the rear seat cover on. I don't know if Legendary cuts them to the exact milimeter,or if the rear seat frame was tweaked, but I couldn't pull enough material to get the bottom left hand corner to fit. It started to tear the material of the cover! In the back edge of the seat cover there was just enough material to get the rear corners over the frame, and meet the rear edge of the seat frame. Anyone else run into this issue. The top part of the rear seat fit fine, which was good because it has the embossed Plymouth design on the top of the seat. A little time out in the sun,and they will look great!
20191115_183259.jpg

Is it the old batting underneath?

20191115_185504.jpg
20191115_185515.jpg
Yes,it was original batting material, but I replaced the burlap. It was not any thicker than the original burlap. I ended up using a zip screw with a small fender washer to hold the material in that corner because the edging that is normally used to attach the hog rings to had pulled away from the vynal from pulling on it. I will paint the screw and washer white so it will not be noticed.

Last edited:
I did some 70 Challenger front bucket seats in a T/A a couple years back that seemed way too tight. Once they were on, they were tighter than hell and I guess will stretch, but I've done a few sets of seats and this set was by far the hardest to get over the frames. I used new foam from legendary and the covers required me and my buddy with a steamer yanking on them to get them over the damn frames. And hes a big boy with some serious *** to yank the covers on. I always kinda laugh when people say the foam could need some trimming. You'd think with the amount of seats they do and have done, they'd have it down by now foam wise so it should be a one and done. The rear seats I get, because the foam and batting is all custom, but the fronts are a bun that's molded and should fit very much the same on all seats. I didn't trim my foam, but man if you have to trim the foam, then shouldn't they make it a bit less dense or whatever is needed? Its the best quality stuff we can get by far, and most of the stuff I've done fits very well, but that set kinda pissed me off for sure with the amount of struggle I had to install it.

Last edited:
Plastic trash bags taped over the foam helps the covers slide on much easier.

Sometimes you have to compress the hell out of the springs in a way that will give you a little room. They have to be warm as well. This time of year covers are harder to install.

Plastic trash bags taped over the foam helps the covers slide on much easier.

Sometimes you have to compress the hell out of the springs in a way that will give you a little room. They have to be warm as well. This time of year covers are harder to install.

Oh for sure.....this set just seemed to be a huge bastard in comparison to others I've done. I understand they need to be tight, but so tight they want to tear is a bit much I feel.

I thought it was just me having this issue. I have been doing these for three decades,this was the worst one yet to do.

I had to heat (warm) mine up to get it to fit. Worked it over very slowly.

Check the difference in the dimensions that it was sewn from Legendary (as compared to original). I have used Legendary for 20+ high end restorations. I have had very good experiences mostly with Legendary, however, human error in sewing the pieces together have happened. I had to return covers to Legendary for them to fix the sewing dimension errors including a rear upper 69 Superbee upper seat cover, a leather 69 Charger SE Bucket seat bottom(had imperfection), a 70 Challenger bucket seat top back. Also, I had a local upholstery shop fix a rear upper rear seat cover in my 69 Daytona. It was sewn "off pattern" at Legendary, and he had to disassemble all the threaded pieces in one area and re-sew to make correct. Again, check the dimensions and imperfections right when it is delivered to you. Call Legendary, send them clear pics and they will make it right(in my experiences).

Auto Transport Service
Back