• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second time around

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I've decided to start a thread about my 69 Road Runner. It's not really a restoration, but more of a redo. First a little about the car and how I acquired it. In 1984 at the age of 16 I had just sold a 73 Satellite and bought a 73 Cuda. Back then I could only afford one car at a time even though they were just $700. vehicles. I loved the Cuda and was planning on having it repainted the following winter, which I did. About this time I was in a neighboring town with my cousin picking up some parts for his 73 Charger from a guy who had about 30 Mopars on his land. He had just brought a blue 69 Runner up from Texas and was going to list it for sale. It was an awesome car but I couldn't afford it even though he was asking only $2250. I eventually forgot about it until 2006 when my then girlfriend (now wife) told me about a 4-speed RR that one of her sons friends said they were thinking about selling. Come to find out that the owner passed away at a young age from cancer 10 years previously and the widow had kept the car in storage all this time. It was the mans prized possession and she was having a hard time letting the car go. Several people found out about it, but the woman and my wife hit it off and luckily I was able to purchase it. After getting it home , looking it over good, and contacting the man from 1984, he told me that indeed it was the same car I had saw 22 years earlier. How cool is that? It was an extremely solid all #'s matching vehicle that even ran. The carb., valve covers, and bench seats were all that had been replaced. The man who brought the car from Texas changed the seats out from a 69 Satellite bucket car. I had the car media blasted and repainted the original color, as well as the motor and tranny to original specs. The car was born as an A4 silver interior which I almost wish I would have went back to. I have only seen 1 other RR done up like that in a picture that a member here had.
So after finishing up my 69 Charger and driving it a summer with 490 hp, I decided that the stock 383 wasn't going to cut it anymore. Several years ago I even swapped the 3.23's for a set of 3.91's - this helped a lot, but still nowhere near the Chargers get up and go. I have not been able to find another car that I am willing to restore and also am having a hard time justifying having 3 old relics sitting in the garage. So the logical solution was to rebuild this one. So I am in the process of pulling the #'s motor and tranny. I have a 451 that is nearing completion at the shop and also another tranny getting the going over. This story is getting long winded, so I will continue another day. Here are a couple of pics. after I was done the first time around in about 2009. The aftermarket radio was replaced with a reproduction am-fm and I made a hard fuel line from the pump to carb shortly after these were taken, but everything else is what it looks like now.

P3280010.jpgP2120182.jpgP2120184.jpgP2120191.jpgP2120212.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And in its current state.

PB230001.jpgPB230004.jpg

Last edited:
hunt2elk, great story and a very beautiful ride. :headbang:

Subscribed! Great story, and looking forward to the updates...

:happy1:

Subscribed! Great story, and looking forward to the updates...

:happy1:

I'll keep them coming and have several upgrades I want to do. Just need work to slow down some so I have time to play.

Good decision on making the build thread. I'm definitely subscribed. Great story and great car.

Uh oh......someone's caught a case of the High Horse and Torque Flu. LOL. 451 should be a good remedy. Sure isn't too hard going up in HP/TQ, but it sure is a bear going down eh Joel? Anyways, cool story! Looking forward to seeing how that 451 turns out for you. Always thought that bird is one of the sharpest on this site. Now it's going to be a real bottle rocket on top of it.

Beep Beep....you got my attention! Nice car and a great story. Looking forward to more of the same in time to come. :headbang:

Your Charger build thread was awesome; I go back and reference it all the time while doing my resto. Looking forward to following your RR Part II.

I finally got a little extra time to spend in the garage and the result was getting the heart pulled out of the Beeper. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be pulling this motor again. But like Will says, I caught a bit of that high horse and torque flu.
PC010002.jpgPB260001.jpg

You won't regret it that's for sure (no replacement for displacement ehh)! I'm running a 451" (actually 456") in mine and really like it, mines built a little on the mellow side for good cruising but it will fry them all the way threw 1st and get so sideways in 2nd that you just have to back out of it haha. I'll be watching, maybe I'll learn a little something to make mine run a little stronger?

Everyone who followed along on my Charger build knows that if something can go wrong, it will for me. I swear I don't know why I keep messing around with these damn old cars. I had a bell housing laying around that I figured would be perfect for this car, until I blasted it and found a nice 3" crack at the top. Then I took my flywheel in to be resurfaced and was told not to use it with over 500 hp because of all the cracks in it. Found a new flywheel, but still searching for a bell housing.
With this addiction to more power, I figured I better do a disc brake conversion. I ordered the exact same kit as went on the Charger last summer. Cleaned everything and painted all the cast pieces with Eastwoods brake grey last August and parked them back on a shelf. Took off my master cylinder and went to swap over the rod and then realized my new cylinder wasn't right. Got on the horn this morning to Pirate Jack and they informed me that somehow I was shipped an original power brake cylinder instead of what I needed. They are being very good about it and have what I need already in the mail.
PC010017.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You won't regret it that's for sure (no replacement for displacement ehh)! I'm running a 451" (actually 456") in mine and really like it, mines built a little on the mellow side for good cruising but it will fry them all the way threw 1st and get so sideways in 2nd that you just have to back out of it haha. I'll be watching, maybe I'll learn a little something to make mine run a little stronger?

What amount of boring gives you a 456 Devin? The reason I ask is mine was bored .040.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, another thing I forgot about. The motor was supposed to be on the dyno 3 weeks ago. The builder took my RPM intake to a local powder coater to have it done in aluminum. It is usually a 3-4 day turnaround, but we are still waiting. I could have sent it down to Leanna in TN and had it back by now lol.

Hey H2E . . . you still trying to compete with me on the "anything that may go wrong will go wrong" competition ? ? LMAO . . .

So sorry to hear about the mess ups - but that just makes us stronger ( and learn so many new words - SMILE ) . . .

I'm following along for the ride ! ! ( again )

.060" mine sat outside with about 6" of water in the pan so needless to say there was some rust to be removed, fortunately I have an early block that was plenty thick. The .060" over also sealed the deal with using KB Hyp pistons, because Hyps run a tight tolerance compared to forged pistons using them means if I ever need a rebuild I can simply hone it out to fit forged pistons and be good to go on the same bore.I'm really curious to see the dyno numbers, what compression, cam and heads are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey H2E . . . you still trying to compete with me on the "anything that may go wrong will go wrong" competition ? ? LMAO . . .

So sorry to hear about the mess ups - but that just makes us stronger ( and learn so many new words - SMILE ) . . .

No, it makes us "Impatient"!

.060" mine sat outside with about 6" of water in the pan so needless to say there was some rust to be removed, fortunately I have an early block that was plenty thick. The .060" over also sealed the deal with using KB Hyp pistons, because Hyps run a tight tolerance compared to forged pistons using them means if I ever need a rebuild I can simply hone it out to fit forged pistons and be good to go on the same bore.I'm really curious to see the dyno numbers, what compression, cam and heads are you using?

These 400 blocks must be quite a bit beefier than the 440's. The first 440 block I had for the Charger would have needed a .040 bore to clean. My engine builder didn't want to go that much and found me another block. This 400 needed .040 and he said that is no problem at all and he has no qualms with going .060 on them.
I'm getting anxious to see the motor on the dyno also. It is 10:1 compression with a comp xe282s cam. And now for the parts you will frown about lol. I have a 440 forged crank, the builder thought it would be cheaper and easier to buy the 440 Source kit for $2299. Also a set of Stealth heads. I am not a motor guy, so am going with his recommendaton - time will tell if I made the right decision. I have a 770 Holley Street Avenger for the motor, but we are also going to throw a 850 on it while hooked up to the dyno to see the difference it makes. Elelbrock Performer RPM intake and a 6 quart Hemi oil pan.

- - - Updated - - -

Between the 2 of us, we get more than our share of extra issues when it comes to unforeseen problems - thats for sure. My wife can't believe everything that goes astray with me and these cars. Now she just shakes her head and smiles when I have another situation.

These 400 blocks must be quite a bit beefier than the 440's. The first 440 block I had for the Charger would have needed a .040 bore to clean. My engine builder didn't want to go that much and found me another block. This 400 needed .040 and he said that is no problem at all and he has no qualms with going .060 on them.
I'm getting anxious to see the motor on the dyno also. It is 10:1 compression with a comp xe282s cam. And now for the parts you will frown about lol. I have a 440 forged crank, the builder thought it would be cheaper and easier to buy the 440 Source kit for $2299. Also a set of Stealth heads. I am not a motor guy, so am going with his recommendaton - time will tell if I made the right decision. I have a 770 Holley Street Avenger for the motor, but we are also going to throw a 850 on it while hooked up to the dyno to see the difference it makes. Elelbrock Performer RPM intake and a 6 quart Hemi oil pan.

- - - Updated - - -

Between the 2 of us, we get more than our share of extra issues when it comes to unforeseen problems - thats for sure. My wife can't believe everything that goes astray with me and these cars. Now she just shakes her head and smiles when I have another situation.

Well I don't see anything to frown about as far as performance goes.......maybe origin haha. I'm really interested in your findings because it sounds as if we have nearly identical motors with yours being a few steps up in cam that I've been considering. I'm sure even though my flow numbers are right up there with yours you'll likely benefit from a better combustion chamber than me. I think your going to want that 850 for sure, I run mine up to 6,000 rpm all the time and it likes the 850. I ran an 870 avenger all summer but felt it was hampering the performance and tried a double pumper out with great results. It likes to scream even with my 268 cam

Auto Transport Service
Back