• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secondary Backfire

ToddMcF2002

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi 440 with a Quick Fuel 750 (vacuum secondary) that is backfiring out of my secondary if I stab the throttle fast. Always visible flames, and I had one large fireball that pretty entertaining. If I rev up slow no problems. I think my secondaries are going lean. I have make a couple changes at once that is worth noting:
- New MSD 6AL
- I recurved the MSD billet distributor with light silver, light blue, black bushing.
- Timing set at 20 initial (a bit high for a 440 with a mild/stock cam???) (need to check all in advance)
- switched to a cast iron stock intake
- new MSD cap, rotor, Autolite 85's and MSD wires. Checked firing order multiple times (check order again! Check for timing light activity on all new wires)
- exhaust smells, burns eyes. I thought it was rich but I'm hearing that indicates lean? I can't learn much from the old plugs because I fouled them all last week with fuel diagnosing the bad MSD
- no notable play in accelerator pump
- need to check for any vacuum leaks (need to check with brake cleaner)
- I have NOT adjusted the secondary open rate (Quick Fuel has an adjustment screw)
- poorly seating intake valve? need to check compression
-------------------------
I've bolded what I plan to look into. Any ideas on anything else I should look at?

Slow the secondary down. Sounds like its going lean due to the sudden influx of air with no additional fuel.
Doug

Thanks for the inputs folks. Before messing with the secondary I was going to tweak timing. Logically a fireball up the carb means the intake is still open indicating excessive advance possibly?

Old rule of thumb is backfire- too lean or too much advance
Thanks for the inputs folks. Before messing with the secondary I was going to tweak timing. Logically a fireball up the carb means the intake is still open indicating excessive advance possibly?

Fixed. Turns out my distributor moved when I locked it down last time and it was running 8 degrees BTDC. Put it at 15 with all in timing at 32 by 2800 and its very happy.

Auto Transport Service
Back