• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking a Fuel Pump Recommendation

Ms.Sully

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Hoping for some help. I am putting the mechanical fuel pump back in my 71 RR. I need to run new fuel lines so I want to know if I should go with the 5/16 or 3/8 intake. It has a 383 engine.

Hoping for some help. I am putting the mechanical fuel pump back in my 71 RR. I need to run new fuel lines so I want to know if I should go with the 5/16 or 3/8 intake. It has a 383 engine.
3/8 feed and 5/16 return. May as well upgrade, no reason not to if you're replacing fuel lines.

Also, failed to mention. Make sure the mechanical fuel pump you purchase, has true 3/8 inlet & outlet ports.
For my 470", I found an obscure, NOS 1968-1969 Chevrolet Corvette fuel filter with the vapor return line. Filter Part # GF-432 / GM part # 5651480.

Went through a lot of trouble as this is one of the only fuel filters with 3/8" inlets & outlets with a return line (being able to attach AN fittings). 1/4" vapor return line, with the correct internal fuel restriction size. Wasn't looking to bleed off fuel pressure, just remove vapor in the fuel system, which will cause vapor locking issues.

This is an easier choice with 3/8 inlets & outlets;
Wix 33041

Which would be great, except they're near impossible to find. I believe WIX stopped producing them. Shame, but they still produce the 5/16 version.

Just the fuel being routed through the FUEL PUMP slowly caused vapor lock, the ethanol blends have that much lower of a boiling point. Same thing with my 318 LA engine, mechanical fuel pump was superheating the fuel.

Last edited:
A street 383 not modified or slightly modified? 5/16" works fine. Ma Mopar made millions of big block cars that all ran fine with 5/16. Put on the 3/8" if you choose. It wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
A street 383 not modified or slightly modified? 5/16" works fine. Ma Mopar made millions of big block cars that all ran fine with 5/16. Put on the 3/8" if you choose. It wouldn't hurt.
Not modified (to my knowledge) but thank you for sharing your recommendation!

Yes, go with 3/8 and 5/16 return. I had to replace the fuel tank on my charger and ran 3/8 the whole way. Sweet5ltr is correct…. Make sure the fuel filter is 3/8 in and out. Also make sure the sending unit is 3/8 and any other line in and out of the mechanical fuel pump and carburetor. It would be a waste of time if it goes down to 5/16 Anywhere from tank to carb.

Auto Transport Service
Back