• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sell or invest in 66 charger

66bluewhale

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I've Had The Car For A While And Recently Put It Up For Sale On This Forum. I Wanted To Get Your Guys Opinion On Wether To Sell The Car Or Put Money Into It. ITIs Currently Rolling Project I Have Most Of The Part. Missing Engine, One Of The Trims And Missing Most Of The Bolts aAlong With Other Things.
I Was Going To Sell It And Use That Money To Get Another Mopar That Is In Daily Driver Condition With As Much Minimal Rust As Possible.
I Haven't Worked On It Except Trying To Get Rid Of The Rust By Sanding It, Used A Rust Converter And Rustoleum Primer. I Dont Have Much Auto Experience But I'm Learning.

I Thought If Im Going To Spend 10K On Another Car Would It Be Better To Pay A Shop Or Some One To Do The Big Stuff Like Fixing The Quarter Panel, Sandblast And Primer it,
I Also Wanted To Convert It To A Manual So I Have An A833 Just NeedToGet The Rest Of The PArts.

I Want To Hear Your Thoughts And experiences

the 66 & 67's are the most expensive to restore...don't ask how I know this, we have 2 of them. You will never get your "investment" money back out of it...so either sell it now, or plan on putting 10-15K into the car and enjoy driving it.

and it's not as "easy" as you think to convert to manual trans...and not very cheap either....you at least have the transmission, but lots of other parts are going to be needed as well....the little parts are gonna be the hardest.

interior pieces are almost impossible to find

If you have 10K to spend on a muscle car. Stop putting money into the 67 and find the car you want with the nicest body you can find.

A dismantled rust 66-67 Charger is a tough sell. So the chances of getting much out it is slim.

even assembled and running first generations are tough to sell....most don't like them....

You know what, i sold everything from a 66 parts charger with no headaches, and I was quite surprised with how well I did. Other than the back glass and a few odd items , depending on the quality of what you have its no trouble getting a good buck.

- - - Updated - - -

And Bryan is certainly right building one is a expensive proposition , and its not gonna make you any money. but if you do....youll have a wonderfull car !

why not post a couple photos of your charger and let us see what you have :eusa_think:

I have a red - not a clone - 66 hemi 4 spd Charger that I can't sell to save my life. Well, I can sell it if I price it at $20K (like that's going to happen) so my advice is to either like it a lot or bail now if you think you have a shot at getting out. I'll admit my car has grown on me, especially when I put the 15x8.5 T70's on, so with no prospects of a sale I will probably add A/C, EFI, a Passon OD gear set and just drive it down to a 50 point car. The upside is it doubles as a tent with a skylight.

I like the first Gens, just ask yourself "is this the car I really want"? I've owned a 1973 Sattelite and a 1968 RR both needed a full restoration but never got it because I couldn't justify the money it would have taken when I really wanted a 69 Charger or 70 Challenger. I sold them and am now dumping a ton of money in a 69 Charger, I've got more than I'll ever get out of it in it but I'm perfectly happy because this is "THE" car I wanted. I would have kept the others however if they had been simple fixer uppers.

If you like the body style of the 66-67 Charger then go for it. If it's not what you really want then don't put the money in it. Because as others have said you won't get the money back out of it. You'll be playing the "I wish I didn't because I really wanted" game. They are a love it or hate kinda car in terms of styling. Made even tougher because of the radical change in 68.

I forget who said it in a previous post...this is our hobby/passion. Think of it as $$$you put towards season tickets or a vacation.. You don't question whether you'll get your money back on it...it's about the enjoyment !

You know, the problem with hotrods in general is that we all believe we can do 'x' amount of work for 'x' amount of money.. When it is all over with, we then realize that in reality, it costs us twice as much as we initially put away for investing. I believe a car can be an escape from reality, a 'time machine' so to speak in its ability to bring some people back to a better time and place. If you love the car that much, I would keep it. You don't need an award winning show car in order to appreciate it. Build it slowly, the way you want, and learn along the way. If you do sell though, I only wish for the best.

ouch I remember that charger now

Flys-Lo put the link up for my charger so you guys can check it out. its also under the for sale section.

i liked this car because it was different from all the cars i've seen. bunch of mustangs, novas, impalas, camaros. now i didn't drool over it i just liked it. cars i drool over are 68 & 70 charger, 70 chevelle, 70 road runner and last 71 cuda. i have yet to drive a muscle car :icon_shaking:

sounds to me like i will have to sell it in parts in order to get rid of it. i've been looking for a daily driver. something i can drive and fix along the way

If you were 2500 miles closer, I'd be interested.

Well If Your Serious I Might Be Willing To Drive It Over If You Pay For Gas :)

I Don't really Want To Sell It For Really Parts But If That's The Only way I'll Do It.

YY1 Let Me KnowAnd We Can Arrange something

Now That I Really Think About That's Pretty far.
Why Couldn't You Be Closer :p haha

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back