• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling a car from Canada in the states

smithchargers

Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here on the forum from Canada has sold a car here in the states at a show such as Carlisle or another show?

I am wondering if anyone here on the forum from Canada has sold a car here in the states at a show such as Carlisle or another show?
Shouldn’t matter I think. Basically it has to be inspected by US Customs. Needs to have proof of ownership. Then transfer ownership.
CHECK with customs!! There might be some stipulation on value.
Years ago I sold a Fargo sweptside to a friend in Oklahoma. The truck was here, he drove up with a 75 Chrysler and a car trailer. I gave him transfer of title, bill of sale and he headed home. Got to the border, showed his papers and on his way. Don’t know if he had to pay any form of taxes.
I believe that if it is over a certain value, 10,000.00?? The current owner might have had to declare the value when going through US customs.
That is my limited knowledge.

Shouldn’t matter I think. Basically it has to be inspected by US Customs. Needs to have proof of ownership. Then transfer ownership.
CHECK with customs!! There might be some stipulation on value.
Years ago I sold a Fargo sweptside to a friend in Oklahoma. The truck was here, he drove up with a 75 Chrysler and a car trailer. I gave him transfer of title, bill of sale and he headed home. Got to the border, showed his papers and on his way. Don’t know if he had to pay any form of taxes.
I believe that if it is over a certain value, 10,000.00?? The current owner might have had to declare the value when going through US customs.
That is my limited knowledge.
Thank you for your response

A Canadian cannot bring the car across the border to complete the transaction. We can take them to Carlisle and put a "for sale" sign on them but if a deal is made the car MUST come back to Canada. The car has to be imported into the U.S. by the buyer or their representative (broker and/or carrier).

The same applies to a Canadian buying a U.S. vehicle. Must be brought in by the buyer or their representative.

A Canadian cannot bring the car across the border to complete the transaction. We can take them to Carlisle and put a "for sale" sign on them but if a deal is made the car MUST come back to Canada. The car has to be imported into the U.S. by the buyer or their representative (broker and/or carrier).

The same applies to a Canadian buying a U.S. vehicle. Must be brought in by the buyer or their representative.
Actually there was a case about 10 years ago where a Canadian sold a car at an US car show, neither buyer or seller knowing the rules. Then there was a problem, somehow I think it ended up that the car didn’t have to come back here for the buyer to import it to the US. Forget the purchasers name.
Could the representative be from the selling country? Just wondering.

I remember a fellow driving down to SD for a car show, leaving his Charger and getting a ride home. That was about 20 yrs ago. No idea on the legalities or what happened after.

Could the representative be from the selling country?
Don't think so. Best to get the specifics right from Customs and Borders Services. Stories are just that, stories. They don't count for **** when you're standing in front of a power-tripping customs officer.

I took my 1964 Polara 500 convertible to Carlisle to sell a few years ago. I called U.S. Customs to see how this works. They said that since this was a commercial transaction, I MUST hire a broker to complete the required paperwork, the most important one being the import paper. I called around a few brokers to ascertain a fee for the service. It seemed that $1500.00 was the going rate. Since I did not have a confirmed buyer, I did not feel like adding this additional cost to my car, when I could very well not find a buyer, and would be trailering it back home. I decided to take the car to Carlisle as though I would be showing it. At the show, I had a very interested gentleman who wanted to buy it. I explained to him, that because of border red tape, I could not complete the sale at the show, and that he would have to come to Ontario to finalize the sale, and be the importer to U.S. There would be no taxes or duties charged at the border. He said he was OK with that, and gave me a deposit cheque for the car.
My prospective buyer had to apply for a North America passport, which permits travel between Canada, U.S.A., Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands. This is an easier deal than getting a global passport. I agreed to meet the buyer at a border crossing near St. Catherines, Ontario, about a two hour drive from my home. I printed off and completed required safety and emissions exemption forms from the Internet. We completed the sale and transfer in the parking lot, and my car headed for the border. The buyer later told me that things went well at Customs inspection. They were happy that I had already done the safety and emissions forms, and they issued the required import papers. He said he was at the border for about 15 minutes.

I took my 1964 Polara 500 convertible to Carlisle to sell a few years ago. I called U.S. Customs to see how this works. They said that since this was a commercial transaction, I MUST hire a broker to complete the required paperwork, the most important one being the import paper. I called around a few brokers to ascertain a fee for the service. It seemed that $1500.00 was the going rate. Since I did not have a confirmed buyer, I did not feel like adding this additional cost to my car, when I could very well not find a buyer, and would be trailering it back home. I decided to take the car to Carlisle as though I would be showing it. At the show, I had a very interested gentleman who wanted to buy it. I explained to him, that because of border red tape, I could not complete the sale at the show, and that he would have to come to Ontario to finalize the sale, and be the importer to U.S. There would be no taxes or duties charged at the border. He said he was OK with that, and gave me a deposit cheque for the car.
My prospective buyer had to apply for a North America passport, which permits travel between Canada, U.S.A., Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands. This is an easier deal than getting a global passport. I agreed to meet the buyer at a border crossing near St. Catherines, Ontario, about a two hour drive from my home. I printed off and completed required safety and emissions exemption forms from the Internet. We completed the sale and transfer in the parking lot, and my car headed for the border. The buyer later told me that things went well at Customs inspection. They were happy that I had already done the safety and emissions forms, and they issued the required import papers. He said he was at the border for about 15 minutes.
Same with my friend and the truck. About 20 minutes, no safety or emissions requirement. When I checked with US Customs beforehand, they said because it was a truck there couldn’t be any leaves, grass or dirt in the underside of the truck. Apparently some rule of the US Department of Agriculture.

Yeah, 'cause you know, all vehicles get the underside washed before they cross the border !!!

A friend bought this from a man in Canada, during the covid hoax. I think he had to wait nine months before Canada allowed him to move it to the U.S.

20220329_120442.jpg

20220329_114726.jpg

A friend bought this from a man in Canada, during the covid hoax. I think he had to wait nine months before Canada allowed him to move it to the U.S.
What makes you think it was Canada's fault, the U.S. had travel restrictions also !!

Before I took my Polara to Carlisle, I checked with a friend of mine, whom I knew had sold his car at Carlisle the previous summer. He said not to do what he had done. He trailered his car to the show in his enclosed trailer, put it in the car corral and sold it. He said he returned home with his empty trailer and his full wallet. A few weeks later he was contacted by U.S. Customs about the sale of his car. It seems that the new buyer could not register it to his name, because he did not have the proper import papers for it. The Customs guy gave my friend quite a tongue lashing, explaining that he could levy a stiff fine, confiscate his trailer or truck for transporting contraband goods, or all of the above. But, if my friend would get all the paperwork corrected, the Customs agent would just treat my buddy as a dumb Canadian that did not know any better. A one-time "get out of jail free" deal. My friend said it cost him close to $2000.00 to hire a lawyer and a broker to sort it all out.

It would seem to me that U.S. Customs would (SHOULD) have a helluva difficult time seizing a truck/trailer/fining, a Canadian citizen in Canada.
But I guess since there are no guns in Canada, a US customs agent can do whatever the hell he wants, right?

It would seem to me that U.S. Customs would (SHOULD) have a helluva difficult time seizing a truck/trailer/fining, a Canadian citizen in Canada.
But I guess since there are no guns in Canada, a US customs agent can do whatever the hell he wants, right?
I don't know for sure; it could have been Canadian Customs, working with U.S. I do know the issue was transporting the car into U.S. for sale without proper paperwork.

Bring a truck load of immigrants across border and it’s all good….
Bring a car across border and pay the man your tariffs….
Makes sense!

Lotsa guns, we just don’t use them for killing school kids.

Lotsa guns, we just don’t use them for killing school kids.
No you don't. You use schools instead.
"Some 150,000 First Nations, Metis and Inuit children are eventually taken from their homes, with many parents surrendering them under threat of prosecution." Thousands of these
children died and are buried in
unmarked graves. This going on
all the way up to the early '70's
Please be careful with the comments.
(moderators, please don't pull this).
Sahara, I've always considered your
opinions viable and respect them,
but you're treading on an Americans'
God given right to self defense. And
your comment is out of line.
It's not the tool that kills, but the
person that uses that tool for evil
intents.

Last edited:
No you don't. You use schools instead.
These so called "schools" were run by the catholic church who have proved themselves to be a very stand up group. Not.
"Some 150,000 First Nations, Metis and Inuit children are eventually taken from their homes, with many parents surrendering them under threat of prosecution."
True. The original plan was to help them survive in the new society. At that time they were head scalping savages. Our other option was to take them out completely like our southern brothers. We did not.

Thousands of these
children died and are buried in
unmarked graves.
Also true. What did they die from you may ask? The same thing as everyone else a 100 years ago, spanish flu, pneumonia, tuberculosis, diphtheria, etc.
The graves were marked ffs. Yes they were wooden markers, and subsequently rotted. ( Again, 100+ years ago)
This going on
all the way up to the early '70's
Please be careful with the comments.
(moderators, please don't pull this).
Sahara, I've always considered your
opinions viable and respect them,
but you're treading on an Americans'
God given right to self defense. And
your comment is out of line.
It's not the tool that kills, but the
person that uses that tool for evil
intents.
Respectfully filling in the blanks.
Now back to getting cars into the states..

Auto Transport Service
Back