• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling my truck, and had 3 scammers already

Paul_G

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
First two interests were flippers offering just under trade in value. Not really scammers but looking to steal a fine truck.

This one is a scammer. This is a texted conversation. He texted me on a local phone number which seems alright at first glance. He wanted information about the trucks history and any issues, normal legit stuff. I reply. Then he wants to see it tomorrow, he can go to the bank with me and do the deal if he likes it. Sounds good right? Then he asks for me to run an IVC report for him. I reply that I dont know what that is? He sends this link www.instantvinchecks.com and says vehicle owners can get the report. I check it out and find that there is a charger for it. The only info I entered was my email and the vin from the truck, and find out there is a $15 charge.

This is now getting fishy. I never heard of IVC reports. So we go back and forth about the report, I tell him I will send him the vin and he can pay for the report. He replies "do I expect him to take time off work, come all the way to see the truck, and spend thousands without the report"? My reply was " if I was a buyer I would want to run my own report like carfax so I know the seller didnt alter the information"

Then he starts to reveal himself, saying he is OK paying my price, has to take time off work, get someone to drive him to see it, etc. trying to convince me, and asks why I am avoiding the report.

Meanwhile.... my wife googles his phone number, 480-400-9421, and it comes up from Phoenix, local to me, but is a scammer trying to get your personal info using this bogus vin check website to run a vin check. The Bastard!

My last text to him is "I'll tell you what, eat **** die you asshole. You are a scammer. Hope you rot in hell for all eternity"

Guess I am not selling the truck tomorrow. lol

My last text to him is "I'll tell you what, eat **** die you asshole. You are a scammer. Hope you rot in hell for all eternity"

Guess I am not selling the truck tomorrow. lol
Good on you....that's what I would have done...and my wife would have called me a very rude man. :lol:

Too many ******** out there trying to take advantage of people who are honest.

The internet definitely brings out the creeps and scammers. Makes you long for the days of a classified ad in the local paper.

Anybody here actually ever tried the Facebook Marketplace thing to sell a ride?
It seems to be picking up where Craigslist is faltering a bit?

One way or the other, the scammers and bozos will ruin anything that works well. Ebay used to be a great tool. Craigslist used to be a great tool, etc. If it's good and EZ, the jerks will find it, and your $$$.

Seems to be many services offering VIN checks. It may be a good tool to avoid gettting screwed on a car. You offered to provide him with the Vin. He may just be a jerkoff and not a scammer. Either way avoid him

I remember when Craigslist came out, I thought it was to cool to be true. These days there are people that will spend more time and energy trying to screw you than they would if they just had a real job to do.

I remember when Craigslist came out, I thought it was to cool to be true. These days there are people that will spend more time and energy trying to screw you than they would if they just had a real job to do.
Yup you got that right! CL is a cesspool of thieves and its completely unchecked. Be weary of anyone and take the appropriate precaution.

Last edited:
The only way I can sell anything on Craigslist anymore is to use their email option. It hides your actual email until you can figure out if the prospective buyer is serious and legit. Then and only then I'll give them my phone number.

I'm sure a lot of interested people don't want to bother emailing but what are you going to do. Post your phone number and you get all the scammers. I don't know why these people can't be sent some kind of a virus to wipe their system out for good.

I have been buying and selling used (junk when I was young) cars for 40 years. It used to be cash was king. Not with today's counterfeit ability by the crooks out there. Now I want to complete the deal at a bank, mine or his. I want the teller to hand me cash or a bank written check.

Besides just that, now this SOB is trying to scam people for $15 dollars at a time. The payment that would have to be made to that bogus VIN check website is made on PayPal. Who's PayPal account is getting that $15? I would suspect it's his PayPal.

I went back to the bogus VIN check website and entered a bogus email address and a bogus VIN number and hit enter. Lo and behold the exact same "your report is ready" response came up. Just make the payment to get your report.

this is what i do for a living so,
when CL started charging money to list vehicles i quit them.
theres Way too many scammers lowballers and wastes of time on there for me to pay actual monies to cl and nothing is regulated at all.
there is nothing worse than being pestered constantly for details when you have posted details or people who dont show up.

i moved to FB marketplace and i find that a Lot of those people do not follow thru either,
even tho you can see their names and history!!
kinda crazy i didnt think there was that Many worthless people on there.
also,i dont have to waste my fone time anymore all day long,like with CL
just my internet time at night which is much better.

so CL,has gone all the way downhill,and FB marketplace is the place to be,
for the moment at least.
again,if you are on FB,
i encourage all of you to go check out the group -mopar swap shop and get a load of the Steals on Wheels daily there.

It's such a pain in the *** to sell a vehicle all the loonies come out and haggle wasting your time .
The last two just traded them in the difference in tax savings sometimes offsets the lower dealer value , plus I just don't have the time .

Auto Transport Service
Back