• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sequence Number Help

JohnnyPopper82

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new to this forum.
Recently acquired a 1970 Charger RT V code 4 speed car. The sequence number on the VIN is 148054 which matches the title, fender tag, and vin tag. The sequence number on the trunk gutter and radiator support are both 138054. Is there any way to see if and what sequence number 138054 would have been?

Hello all. I’m new to this forum.
Recently acquired a 1970 Charger RT V code 4 speed car. The sequence number on the VIN is 148054 which matches the title, fender tag, and vin tag. The sequence number on the trunk gutter and radiator support are both 138054. Is there any way to see if and what sequence number 138054 would have been?
I was able to match up the inspection stamps with the inner fender well. Everything is a perfect match so I’m assuming a mistake was made on rad support and trunk sequence numbers.

Welcome from North Florida.
Those should be the 6 digit VIN #’s and they should all match unless I am miss understanding what you mean by sequence numbers.

Welcome from North Florida.
Those should be the 6 digit VIN #’s and they should all match unless I am miss understanding what you mean by sequence numbers.
I was saying it wrong. The vin on the trunk and rad support match each other, but they do not match the fender tag, or dash vin. The fender tag and the rest of the car appear to not have been tampered with. I’ve hear stories of MOPAR having some odd things happen with their vins. Was hoping this was one of them

I was saying it wrong. The vin on the trunk and rad support match each other, but they do not match the fender tag, or dash vin. The fender tag and the rest of the car appear to not have been tampered with. I’ve hear stories of MOPAR having some odd things happen with their vins. Was hoping this was one of them
Oops, when the body numbers are the same that is good. When they don't match the vin tag or fender tag, not good. It is very interesting that the numbers are so similar.

I think you are right, just a stamping error. Chances of it being a clone, and the numbers being only one digit off, and ten thousand cars apart........?
If your vin, fender tag, and title match, i think you're okay.

Oops, when the body numbers are the same that is good. When they don't match the vin tag or fender tag, not good. It is very interesting that the numbers are so similar.
The fact that I could see the 3 digit inspection stamping on the inner fender and have it line up with the fender tag lead me to believe that it was original to the car.

I think you are right, just a stamping error. Chances of it being a clone, and the numbers being only one digit off, and ten thousand cars apart........?
Agreed. Is there any possible way to prove that? Galen Govier verification?

Agreed. Is there any possible way to prove that? Galen Govier verification?

Galen don't carry quite the respect he once did... Might want to check with Dave Wise.... As 33 Imp said, I think your find, it's a stamping error... If two numbers were wrong & not transposed I'd be more concerned but one digit wrong happened fairly often...

BTW Cool Car... Pictures would be nice...

Dave Wise contact info..

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/about/About.html

If it has the number matching block, it should have the partial vin stamped on a pad just above the pan rail. Id be curious to see what it says.

If it has the number matching block, it should have the partial vin stamped on a pad just above the pan rail. Id be curious to see what it says.
Unfortunately Didn’t come with original drive train. I was able to track down a 100% complete 1970 6 pack engine with numbers matching 4 speed tranny that I plan to put in it.

Galen don't carry quite the respect he once did... Might want to check with Dave Wise.... As 33 Imp said, I think your find, it's a stamping error... If two numbers were wrong & not transposed I'd be more concerned but one digit wrong happened fairly often...

BTW Cool Car... Pictures would be nice...

Dave Wise contact info..

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/about/About.html

here’s a few pics. A little rough but plan to get it back on the road.

3F9C7010-6BA7-41B5-8478-A23E3BA4F367.jpeg 258505F5-02AB-4476-90E4-F6B17BFCE303.jpeg D7140303-E9CF-4656-81C7-FE1AA9894AFC.jpeg DDC66D21-A590-4910-B55D-61C4E28BC1F9.jpeg BE09E295-83E6-4E56-960F-4189DB0BF0E8.jpeg

Well given the prices that G2 Chargers are bringing anything is possible these days. I am not saying the car isn't legit, just pointing out that where there is demand there is fraud. That said, I agree that just one number off seems more like a stamping error than fraud.

Well given the prices that G2 Chargers are bringing anything is possible these days. I am not saying the car isn't legit, just pointing out that where there is demand there is fraud. That said, I agree that just one number off seems more like a stamping error than fraud.
Thanks everyone for your input.

As 33 Imp said, I think your find, it's a stamping error... If two numbers were wrong & not transposed I'd be more concerned but one digit wrong happened fairly often.....

FWIW...I agree. One number off is likely a stamping error.

VIN 0G138054 was either a Coronet based car or a Charger with an SPD of A06. That's as close as I can get.....

Could it have been the trunk gutter's where changed and the radiator support. How long have you had the car.

Could it have been the trunk gutter's where changed and the radiator support. How long have you had the car.

As was previously mentioned, that would mean someone totally by chance grabbed parts off a car with five of the six numbers identical to the original cars VIN..... In Lotto that's still get you hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars..... I think it was a mistake on the line....

Ha Ha. Yep neve know what they where thinking. Oh well it is not the end of the world. I had to order twice for my 69 runner. It had a 68 hood on it. Early production. But that is the game use up what you have. Every thing else was ordered for a 69 and worked out well. The hood latch and catch was not fitting my car. It was all off. But the 68 hood made it right.

Auto Transport Service
Back