• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously??

The problem is the solution where according to MSN you look at each transaction separately so he made $20 ($10 each sale) but in reality overall he broke even. In my mind overall is a better indicator of whether or not he came out ahead.

I agree, sad. I recall my father in law saying he was always amazed at the lack of education his incoming college freshmen had, and how lackadaisical they were about learning anything at all.

The problem is the solution where according to MSN you look at each transaction separately so he made $20 ($10 each sale) but in reality overall he broke even. In my mind overall is a better indicator of whether or not he came out ahead.

Ok,... maybe it's because it's early, but how are you figuring that he broke even? Basic accounting shows he ends up with 20 extra dollars in his pocket

Transaction Pocketbook
$ 100.00 (starting balance)
$ (60.00) $ 40.00
$ 70.00 $ 110.00
$ (80.00) $ 30.00
$ 90.00 $ 120.00

Just curious if I am missing something caused by early day thinking!!

Let me go get my 6 year old grand son to check my math....be back next week.

It doesn't state whether the initial $60 was borrowed or not. :)

Just saw on the news, how students of today are useing the Internet for answers when taking test. In just a matter of seconds you can have the answer by useing a cell phone in class. They are not to do this but many don't get caught. And they can use this for doing their homework. You'll never learn anything by cheating.

No wonder the young cashier cannot count change back on their own.

I almost got kicked out of school for bringing a Texas Instruments desktop calculator to school...in 1975. We were told not to bring them because we had to learn it in our heads.

There aren't 'pitchers of horsys on the rejisters' so they can't figger it owt.

Just saw on the news, how students of today are useing the Internet for answers when taking test. In just a matter of seconds you can have the answer by useing a cell phone in class. They are not to do this but many don't get caught. And they can use this for doing their homework. You'll never learn anything by cheating.

So True! We had to get on our grand-daughter for that. She was doing homework at our house, and we noticed she was googling the answers. I called her out on it and got the "I'm just verifying my answers" reply. Next test she had, she got a bad grade (which she doesn't normally get). I called her out on it and told her maybe she needs to stop using Google to do her homework so she can learn how to do it herself. Haven't seen her try it since.

I can see why there's confusion, it is somewhat of a trick question as his actual cost is $70 to get the $90(for the $20 profit) not just the $60 he started with... He had to go in the hole another $10 when he bought it for $80, but they didn't say that... that's where that spongy soft mass between the ears is supposed to help!

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. He spent a total of $140 to buy the horse twice. And received a total of $160 by selling it twice. He kept $20 for himself.

Where does it say there's a starting balance? Not relevant anyway.

Simple, simple math

First transaction set +10

Second transaction set +10

The fact that it's a horse and that it's the same horse has no bearing whatsoever.

People are reading in that there's some kind of loan, or that there's a negative balance because the second buy action is for a higher amount than the sale price of the first.

Auto Transport Service
Back